Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: FSB's in 2020?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mm1990 View Post
    This 20” BCM upper with Trijicon TA31F-G is my favourite rifle I own.
    I'm almost to the point in my life where I either want a 10.5/11.5" with the option to suppress or a 20". I'm finding less and less desire to shoot anything 14.5 or 16". I either want them short and quiet or long with all the FPS.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    I'm almost to the point in my life where I either want a 10.5/11.5" with the option to suppress or a 20". I'm finding less and less desire to shoot anything 14.5 or 16". I either want them short and quiet or long with all the FPS.
    I was in the same position as you, ether a 11.5” or a 20”. I went with the 20” and I am glad I did.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I thought the answer to "ether a 11.5” or a 20”" was "Yes."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post

Coming to the same conclusion.

I'm partial to the 20" bbl and A2 stock, because that's primarily what I carried during OSUT.
    Here comes the thunder.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mm1990 View Post
    I was in the same position as you, ether a 11.5” or a 20”. I went with the 20” and I am glad I did.
    No I mean having both.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    FSB’s are great and still very serviceable in 2020. I’ve wondered about rails a lot in the past, and my favorite setup currently is a 10.3” RAS setup. I picked up a Daniel defense upper with a pinned block; I haven’t shot it much, but I have a hard time imagining it being any worse than a FSB setup. Shaved block on an 11.5” FBI barrel isn’t going anywhere. I assembled an upper that had the gas block walk some, so I aligned it again, shot some rounds through it, checking it and torquing a little while it was hot. No idea if that’s good or bad but it worked. I wouldn’t trust my life to an unpinned block though. I would trust rail mounted irons.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokie View Post
    FSB’s are great and still very serviceable in 2020. I’ve wondered about rails a lot in the past, and my favorite setup currently is a 10.3” RAS setup. I picked up a Daniel defense upper with a pinned block; I haven’t shot it much, but I have a hard time imagining it being any worse than a FSB setup. Shaved block on an 11.5” FBI barrel isn’t going anywhere. I assembled an upper that had the gas block walk some, so I aligned it again, shot some rounds through it, checking it and torquing a little while it was hot. No idea if that’s good or bad but it worked. I wouldn’t trust my life to an unpinned block though. I would trust rail mounted irons.
    It’s okay as long as you machine or drill small divots for the adjustable gas block/FSP set screws: and you do not over torque your set screws. Otherwise you will almost certainly deform the barrel while its hot as you tighten the set screws into the barrel. It will permanently alter the bore and effect pressure and rifling. It’s best to taper pin any gas block and by milling it to the barrel while aligned properly. Two taper pins as used in the military FSP is vastly superior to alternatives.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I have had a gas block with knurled set screws and a dimpled barrel come loose before, despite using red loctite on the set screws. At this point, everything gets pinned, whether it's a low profile gas block or by using a FSB.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    I have had a gas block with knurled set screws and a dimpled barrel come loose before, despite using red loctite on the set screws. At this point, everything gets pinned, whether it's a low profile gas block or by using a FSB.
    How dare you disparage set screw gas blocks in dimples by providing a first hand account of a failure.
    You are supposed to anecdotally attack clamp on gas blocks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    You forgot to use high temp sleeve retainer when you installed the block. 🤣🤣 😝

Also remember to clean all oil off a steel gas block and barrel it will oxidize and hold tighter. Most set screw gas blocks come with too soft set screws. And yes I will not use them period: after going through all the process you end up with a gas block that is inferior to a pinned gas block.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast