Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: FSB's in 2020?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    KAC doesn’t seem to think they are required.

Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    There are many many tier 1 unite without FSBs. I don’t think they hurt, but a requirement? I’m not so sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup. I prefer the extra handguard length on anything shorter than a M16. Although I dig Kinos and mock dissies.

Quote Originally Posted by dlrflyer View Post
    What I wish is that manufacturers would use the round handguard retainer on basic midlength uppers. That way I could easily install the MOE SL handguard, which is friggin awesome for most purposes. I’m still trying to figure why they insist on the triangle retainer....
    Yeah. Baffling.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    PRI and Scalarworks makes them as well.
    So does Midwest Industries

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Novak View Post
    I always thought a MK18 FSP RIS II would be the perfect rail for 10.3-11.5 builds...
    Who’s to say it’s not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    Who’s to say it’s not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    You're making me want to send an M4A1RIS II to chop boss...
    "I don't just want gun rights... I want individual liberty, a culture of self-reliance....I want the whole bloody thing." - Kim du Toit

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    This thread turned out a LOT differently than I thought it would!!!

I figured the FSB was as passe these days, as oval handguards!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I prefer a FSB when using a red dot optic and a lo profile pinned gas block on my scoped rifles. I don’t understand why these otherwise high quality rifle assemblers continue to use set screws. The gas block is a critical component and gets extremely hot. I think most here would agree that using a thread locking compound to secure a castle nut is unacceptable. Then why has it become acceptable to use set screws and locking compound on gas blocks? I have a buddy that removes set screws from dimpled barreled gas blocks on a very highly regarded companies rifles by removing the handguard and firing a 30 round mag or two through it to heat it up enough to easily remove the set screws.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlrflyer
    What I wish is that manufacturers would use the round handguard retainer on basic midlength uppers.
    This. It's 2020, why is there no option to choose which handguard cap you get?

Quote Originally Posted by dirkmagurk View Post
    I prefer a FSB when using a red dot optic and a lo profile pinned gas block on my scoped rifles. I don’t understand why these otherwise high quality rifle assemblers continue to use set screws. The gas block is a critical component and gets extremely hot. I think most here would agree that using a thread locking compound to secure a castle nut is unacceptable. Then why has it become acceptable to use set screws and locking compound on gas blocks? I have a buddy that removes set screws from dimpled barreled gas blocks on a very highly regarded companies rifles by removing the handguard and firing a 30 round mag or two through it to heat it up enough to easily remove the set screws.
    And this. Again, it's 2020, why the hell are so few companies offering factory drilled barrels with gas blocks ready for pinning by end user? And why are clamp on gas blocks not more commonplace?

On topic: I only have FSBs on ARs that I have spefically built or configured to accomodate the FSB. Otherwise, I avoid them for more freedom.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkmagurk View Post

Who the **** takes a customer's gun out to a range and fires a 30rd mag to do what a few seconds on a Home Depot MAPP torch can do? Then the range becomes the shop to work on guns?

If even the premise of that were true Internet forums would be filled with dudes with set screw gas blocks failing, and it would have been fixed over a decade ago when people were making equally nonsensical statements back then.

The actual cases of properly documented and installed set screw gas blocks failing are slim to almost none.

That said its not hard to pin a GB so why not?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Need it now? Pop it up. It's always pointed where the muzzle's pointed, not the rail.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    ...why are clamp on gas blocks not more commonplace...?
    Because the cross screws of a clamp on gas block are more likely to break than set screws are to back out. Especially if the set screws are staked.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast