Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bren2---any reason to skip?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    You're not loosing anything in having a short barrel. I believe the difference between 8 and 16 inch barrel is only about 200 fps
    Exactly this...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vgex2 View Post
    Jut an FYI, but HB industries makes a Bren 2 7.62x39 AR mag adapter for like $18 bucks. I know 7.62x39 AR mags aren’t everybody’s favorites, but it’s a cheap and easy fix until the unobtanium CZ mags are more plentiful.
    Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction. The 7.62x39 D&H and RZE Unimags are run 100% for me in both of my 7.62x39 AR15's. I don't want to add another magazine type, so this will be perfect. As a bonus, the cost of the adapter is very reasonable.
    https://hbindustries.net/store/shop/...ll-conversion/

Feedback Score
    I ordered an 11" 7.62x39 Bren 2 and the adapter. Now to find a CZ buttstock so I can SBR it. Fun times ahead.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    What about parts availability in case of any breakages?

I too have been thinking about getting one in 5.56 to have another “option”. And because I like guns.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    I've got an early Bren 2S with 14" barrel in 5.56 and one of the newer Bren 2MS with 9" barrel in 7.62x39.

I think the pistols are definitely the way to go. They went with a heavy barrel on the 16" Bren2MS that kind of kills the light feel.

Magsz has a 9" in 7.62x39 and has way more time on it than I do. I know he's made comments on m4carbine. Worth a search.

14" 5.56 is sweet. 9" 7.62x39 is pretty punchy recoil wise. Much worse flash with Russian ammo on short 7.62x39 compared to .300blk. Hornady 7.62x39 could be a solution.

The stock pistol version Bren2MS handguard blows. It's way heavier than it needs to be and the few mlok slots might as well just not be there. Gets hot. Need plastic insulation/rail covers, but not enough slots to give you anything to grab.

No parts available yet. Parts did become available for the 805 after a while. I assume it will for the Bren 2 as well, depending on political winds.
    Last edited by Aries144; 08-03-20 at 02:51.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I ordered an 11" 7.62x39 Bren 2 and the adapter. Now to find a CZ buttstock so I can SBR it. Fun times ahead.
    This is what I purchased. The 2S - 7.62 11 inch.

I like it because it is different.

I heard you can alter the cheap Magpul mags.

No problem waiting for the accessories.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I tell you. The 762 version might be the most interesting. I am less concerned that they don't utilize AK mags than the scuttlebutt that the factory mags seem fragile. Is this just one of those things that becomes "True" because it gets said a lot or are they actually fragile?
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    I tell you. The 762 version might be the most interesting. I am less concerned that they don't utilize AK mags than the scuttlebutt that the factory mags seem fragile. Is this just one of those things that becomes "True" because it gets said a lot or are they actually fragile?
    Magsz could chime in here, if he's still around. He has several thousand rounds through a 9" 7.62x39 in competitions and shooting classes, IIRC.

The feedlips do not have any reinforcement, are just plastic, and seem thin. On the black mags, there's a very small molded-in metal lip at the top of the front of the mag to resist bullet tips wearing down the plastic there, but that's it.

The best way I can describe the plastic is comparing the 7.62x39 Bren 2 mags to the stiff, unyeilding plastic Walther and HK use for their pistol frames, while a Magpul mag feels more like the softer, more flexible plastic Glock uses for their pistol frames. They do "feel" potentially brittle. I don't see these surviving being run over, loaded or not.

The STANAG magwell adapter that all 5.56 Bren 2's come with allow the use of 7.62x39 AR15 mags if used on a 7.62x39 Bren 2. HBI makes a replica of this adapter that they sell for cheap. It is also possible to modify Magpul 7.62x39 AK mags, but it doesn't look like a brain dead operation, and of course the bolt catch function is lost.

This is only CZ's second or third adventure with polymer magazines, but they do have military customers using these 7.62x39 mags, including GIGN. I expect if there are issues, we'll see refined versions of the mags available at some point, should importation or domestic manufacture remain possible.

Feedback Score
    Maybe I’m just not switched on, but there’s a point where with all these bandaids for the Bren, that maybe you just say screw it and get a Galil Ace. Admittedly, the 7.62x39 version doesn’t have BHO due to the AK mags, but then, it uses common and reliable AK mags. At least that was my choice for a 7.62x39 gun. If you are considering 5.56, well I guess it depends how bored you are with AR’s and how much money you have. If a piston gun with folding stock is your desire, I think I’d be tempted to hold my nose and buy a Virtus due to common controls and better support in USA. Sadly tho, it’s still a Sig and the chances of them leaving you with a legacy gun and no support is quite high..,

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    My 11 inch 5.56 is starting to get a lot more range time. Enough that I filled out the forms and ordered a Dan Haga ACR stock adapter and stock for it.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast