Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your preferre drop in AR ambi mag catch?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Your preferre drop in AR ambi mag catch?

I'm familiar with the Norgon as I had some back in the day when they first came out.

I'm familiar with the Troy as there is one on my Lage M11 5.56 upper. I've heard concerns about if pivoting on and wearing the outside of the receiver. However, as far as I can tel this is primarily a cosmetic issue. If it is really jsut cosmetic then I'm not too worried about it.

I also see that there is one by strike but I know nothing about it.

It looks like there is one by battle steel as well again I know nothing about this one.

What are your suggestions and why?

Thanks.

TED

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    BattleSteel is a Norgon clone manufacturered less consistently. I wasn’t a huge fan of the Norgon design, but there was nothing wrong with the actual BattleSteel item. I’ve been tempted to try this out again recently.

I’ve had the Sig M400 version, as it previously could be purchased at OpticsPlanet. It’s a great cheapest option, but not as “clean” as others.

I use a Troy currently, and it may remain my favorite. The pin walked out just a tiny bit, so I used a punch to push it back. No problems since.

The Forward Controls Design EMR-A is by far the most well thought out and manufactured I’ve had so far. I don’t have any actual use with it yet, as it was not compatible with the 308 lower I was going to use it with. So, I can’t compare it fairly regarding actual function, but others speak very highly.

I am used to the Troy Amb release/Geissele Maritime bolt catch combo currently, so I’m loathe to even try out the EMR-A on my go-to rifle. Just saving for another lower build should one be needed.

Note: though I don’t think the actual “finger position” of the mag release is my favorite, the overall design and other benefits of the LMT MARS-L lower is far and away a better option than adding on ambi features to a traditional lower, if you can swing it.

Finally, there is at least one very good, thorough thread on this. I would suggest searching.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I use Norgon only due to the fact that I got them from the company I worked for which used them as an OEM part.

They do what they were designed to and haven't failed me so I have no reason to change to something else.

Edit: Also very low profile, almost like it's not there but it is!
    Last edited by VLODPG; 07-28-20 at 07:00.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I recently installed one of the Forward Controls ambi-mag releases. Impressed so far.

"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I'd recommend the Forward Controls Design EMR-A as well. FCD parts are all well thought out and designed and built to last. They just work, and they work well.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I've used all of them and the one I used for over a decade was the Troy. I've been using the forward Controls lately and may slowly switch all of mine to that model.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    48 (100%)
    I have the troy on all 3 of my lowers. No issues

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    I have used the Norgon for years,& moved it to multiple rifles, it has always worked fine for me. I have no experience with newer models or designs but have been looking at the Arms Unlimited Model, it appears to be a Norgon Clone. https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod114343.aspx The FCD does look like a great option. The Strike Industries looks interesting but I have not tried one yet.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm actually thinking against the troy because I do want to standardize this on more than one lower and use this in one of my GWACS lowers which of course are polymer and if the part is metal and it pivots on the receiver it may over time gouge out the polymer and then not work. Also, though I have no evidence of this, I wonder if the troy would even work on a gwacs lower as the thickness of the polymer may sit higher and cause a potential issue.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    The only option that does not pivot on the upper is the Norgon and clones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast