Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forward assist

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Forward assist

Are they entirely necessary? Don't think I ever touched mine over two deployments. There are a lot of good-looking "slick side" uppers out there, so I just wanted to get a couple opinions. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by doc_ralston View Post
    Are they entirely necessary? Don't think I ever touched mine over two deployments. There are a lot of good-looking "slick side" uppers out there, so I just wanted to get a couple opinions. Thanks.
    This was just posted by gun Jesus

https://youtu.be/JHSSO-vJTSs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Great, thanks!

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Gun jesus is almost certainly responding to this video, I think posted by a member of the forum.

https://youtu.be/MhjU8InWxr0

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Entirely necessary? No. But I prefer to have and not need.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Not a fan. Maybe it’s my SP1? Maybe my retro 604 or GUU-5P, but I don’t find them necessary.

Feedback Score
    I have a forward assist on all of my AR's. Used it a couple times during a fire fight in Iraq. With that said....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have always made sure to have a forward assist. I was taught SPORTS and use it for such.

Then I built my wife's AR with an Aero slickside upper (saved weight and I just taught her SPORS instead of SPORTS) and neither she nor I have had an issue with her AR without it.

Now I'm rebuilding a pistol again(God help me) and I'm purposely using an Aero slick side upper for it, because why not, one less thing to add weight and break, right?

So, at this point I think I'm ambivalent. It's odd not having it there, something's wrong with not being able to force a round into battery if you need to, and yet, why would you want to?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ian brought up a good point of people wanting to use a button or device simply because it's there. How often have you seen a car's head rest raised to its max height to the point the driver's head can't rest on it anymore, or keyboards with its front legs deployed, even though it makes typing harder and will fatigue the user faster?

I also agree with him that it generally works as designed. I use the FA, but also know when it's the wrong application to solve a problem. Any device can be abused and misused, the possibility, or the ability of the user to misuse and abuse it isn't reason enough to get rid of it, proper training and education would go a long way. Taking away a control or tool because the user MIGHT use it the wrong way is over correction.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Ian brought up a good point of people wanting to use a button or device simply because it's there. How often have you seen a car's head rest raised to its max height to the point the driver's head can't rest on it anymore, or keyboards with its front legs deployed, even though it makes typing harder and will fatigue the user faster?

I also agree with him that it generally works as designed. I use the FA, but also know when it's the wrong application to solve a problem. Any device can be abused and misused, the possibility, or the ability of the user to misuse and abuse it isn't reason enough to get rid of it, proper training and education would go a long way. Taking away a control or tool because the user MIGHT use it the wrong way is over correction.
    Proof point, as a civilian, the only time I ever used the FA to remediate a malfunction I actually made the problem far worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast