Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Forward assist

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by doc_ralston View Post
    Are they entirely necessary? Don't think I ever touched mine over two deployments. There are a lot of good-looking "slick side" uppers out there, so I just wanted to get a couple opinions. Thanks.
    As Clint Smith teaches, (you do know who he is?), "Why would you want to beat something into the chamber that does not want to go in?" You eject it and put in a fresh round.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I was going to ask the same thing. This method also extends to any other gun with a double feed magazine. When or how is a press check superior?
    Couldn't agree more!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruckusjuice View Post
    I’ve used a forward assist if I’ve done a press check and then the bolt failed to close completely because I had eased the charging handle forward afterwards.... I wouldn’t have a problem being issued a gun without a forward assist but wouldn’t go out of my way to get one. I can think of a couple of different ways a forward assist could cause big problems but I’ve never seen it happen in real life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgs130 View Post

- Safety: On
    - Stock: Correct Position
    - Sling: Adjusted
    - Ret Dot: Correct Intensity
    - Insert Mag : Push, Pull
    - Charge: Bolt Release or Charging Handle
    - Press Check : Charge Handle Back, Check Round, Release, Hit Forward Assist, Close Dust Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post

Good for chambering quietly, or quiet chamber check.
    I agree with these three partial quotes.
    Last edited by LMT Shooter; 08-05-20 at 17:57.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    Why not drop the mag to confirm a loaded chamber on all your rifles? It removes the potential for an out of battery bolt if you don't play with it. Pick one method and use it for all rifles.
    There’s an argument to be made for doing it that way. My “retro” guns and my “go to” guns are set up differently. I’m left handed, so my manual of operation is slightly different:

Retro - Standard safety, standard CH, standard mag release, no FA.

Go To - Ambi safety, ambi CH, ambi mag release, FA

I treat them as distinct weapons systems. I’ve had my “go to” guns way longer than I’ve had my “retro” stuff, so I stick with the Pat Mac ritual as primary method.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    Why not drop the mag to confirm a loaded chamber on all your rifles? It removes the potential for an out of battery bolt if you don't play with it. Pick one method and use it for all rifles.
    This is what I do, I never press check any of my AR's. I have memorized on what side of the mag the cartridge is on my different mags.

I could see using the FA for a quite chambering.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123