Thread: Sealed Primers/Bullets Questions...

Feedback Score

Sealed Primers/Bullets Questions...

I've often wondered if heavy lubrication on your AR's bcg, can cause a chambered round to FTF, due to the lubrication getting into the UN-SEALED primer??? Is this possible? If so, then how quickly can lube get into a primer? I mean, does it only occur to rounds that have been chambered for LONG periods of time?
    OR, can a chambered round be penetrated by the heavy lube on the bcg much quicker than this????
    Is this even possible, or likely to happen?

On a similar note, just why are primers and bullets sealed? Are primers/bullets usually sealed just to keep everyday moisture out, or are there other reasons (such as bullets being submerged at times during combat??)
    Is the sealant ALWAYS visible, or can some sealant not be seen? I know a lot of the sealants are usually red, (or green in my SS109 ammo). Is it always visible, or are some sealants not visible???

I cannot stand worrying about the chambered round in my AR, which stays in the chamber for quite a while at times.
    Last edited by Razorhunter; 11-27-08 at 23:46.
    "ROLL RIGHT SNIPER!"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I never leave a round chambered for extended periods.

But it wouldn't be an issue if I did. The bolt face is generally dry. And the bolt lugs are usually lightly lubed until I start firing and the lube starts moving forward on the bolt.

If the bolt face isn't soaked with lube and the rifle were stored muzzle up, I doubt it would be an issue.

I don't know how long it takes to ruin an unsealed primer. I did see a guy get a bunch of misfires from his home defense pistol ammo once. He lubed the inside of his mags/springs and all of this nonsense.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cataldo View Post
    I've often wondered if heavy lubrication on your AR's bcg, can cause a chambered round to FTF, due to the lubrication getting into the UN-SEALED primer??? Is this possible? If so, then how quickly can lube get into a primer? I mean, does it only occur to rounds that have been chambered for LONG periods of time?
    OR, can a chambered round be penetrated by the heavy lube on the bcg much quicker than this????
    Is this even possible, or likely to happen?

On a similar note, just why are primers and bullets sealed? Are primers/bullets usually sealed just to keep everyday moisture out, or are there other reasons (such as bullets being submerged at times during combat??)
    Is the sealant ALWAYS visible, or can some sealant not be seen? I know a lot of the sealants are usually red, (or green in my SS109 ammo). Is it always visible, or are some sealants not visible???

I cannot stand worrying about the chambered round in my AR, which stays in the chamber for quite a while at times.
    I wouldn't worry about your chambered round unless it's soaking in the bathtub.

Seriously, I think MarkM hit it on the head.

Only Military rounds are sealed at the primer and neck. Folks like Black Hills have manufactured ammo with sealed primers for the civilian market. If you have ever been in battle, especially in a jungle environment where rain is a daily occurence you would understand the need for sealants. To my knowledge all sealants are colored except for the after market sealers you can buy to seal your own primers.

Feedback Score
    Unless you gun is submerged in lube, it shouldn't be an issue. You shouldn't be using so much lube to cause a primer to go bad.