Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a quality day/night scope with IR capabilities

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Thanks!

Like I asked earlier, "Is a particular clip-on made for a particular scope?" It looks like the scope objective lens fits perfectly into the IR clip-on. What about an EOTech or Aimpoint?
    Ah, it's largely irrelevant if your objective is larger than the thermal's ocular end as you're only staring at a tiny screen within the ocular end anyway. Also, as you'd typically be using it at night, you shouldn't have to worry about ambient bleed through since there won't really be any ambient light anyway. It's more of an OCD thing, you could just wrap something around difference between the two if you really wanted to.
    Last edited by ColtSeavers; 08-02-20 at 21:02.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm talking about the optic itself being IR capable, not needing NODS with it. i.e. it displays what you're looking at in IR.
    I don’t think you fully understand what you want. It seems like you want a thermal optic, which cannot see anything in the IR spectrum, that you can also see through without it being on. That doesn’t exist. The closest thing to that would be a thermal clip on that you can use day or night (when the clip on is powered on) with your magnified optic or you can remove it when you don’t need it and continue to use your magnified optic. There’s no need to worry about repeatability of zero with this setup as the clip ons are designed to not affect your magnified optic’s zero.

What is your budget ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lahunter57 View Post
    . There’s no need to worry about repeatability of zero with this setup as the clip ons are designed to not affect your magnified optic’s zero.
    Not to pick nits but all of the clip one require collimation and they can become uncolimated so it depends on how picky you are about your zero. Does it matter if you’re off one inch? Better check it. FWIW I had to two clip one that required adjustment. One had to go back to factory and cost me over a grand.

Feedback Score
    I don’t think you fully understand what you want. It seems like you want a thermal optic, which cannot see anything in the IR spectrum, that you can also see through without it being on. That doesn’t exist. The closest thing to that would be a thermal clip on that you can use day or night (when the clip on is powered on) with your magnified optic or you can remove it when you don’t need it and continue to use your magnified optic. There’s no need to worry about repeatability of zero with this setup as the clip ons are designed to not affect your magnified optic’s zero.

What is your budget ?
    I'm starting to get the picture. You're right, the clip-on is probably what I'll be looking for.

Budget? Once I get this treeline trimming job done I'd guess $3-4K. Might be this fall though.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    Not to pick nits but all of the clip one require collimation and they can become uncolimated so it depends on how picky you are about your zero. Does it matter if you’re off one inch? Better check it. FWIW I had to two clip one that required adjustment. One had to go back to factory and cost me over a grand.
    I'd assume that applies to using with a red dot also?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    I'd assume that applies to using with a red dot also?
    I don’t know. All my clip on are for magnified optics. But if my aimpoint was off an inch at 100 yards I prob wouldn’t notice

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm starting to get the picture. You're right, the clip-on is probably what I'll be looking for.

Budget? Once I get this treeline trimming job done I'd guess $3-4K. Might be this fall though.
    I don’t know of a clip on in this price range. There’s a lot more technology that goes into a clip on that really drives up the price. You could probably pick up a decent dedicated thermal optic for that price or you could get into a surplus night vision optic. What’s your intended use?

Feedback Score
    I don’t know of a clip on in this price range. There’s a lot more technology that goes into a clip on that really drives up the price. You could probably pick up a decent dedicated thermal optic for that price or you could get into a surplus night vision optic. What’s your intended use?
    To be able to use at night without relying on ambient light.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks!

Like I asked earlier, "Is a particular clip-on made for a particular scope?" It looks like the scope objective lens fits perfectly into the IR clip-on. What about an EOTech or Aimpoint?
    https://tnvc.com/shop/tnvc-tm14-mk2-...-weapon-mount/ Would something like this and a pvs14 behind a nv compatible aimpoint or eotech do what you are looking for? You could always add an IR laser and mount it on a helmet later on as well.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Last edited by WS6; 08-06-20 at 04:42.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast