Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Theoretical advantage of A5 buffer system?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Theoretical advantage of A5 buffer system?

What is the theoretical advantage of the A5 buffer system over a carbine buffer system with a flat-wire spring?

Use of flat-wire allows for a longer spring with a lower spring constant which should be able to match the A5 force curve unless the latter used an even longer flat-wire spring.

The A5 buffer itself is longer, uses four weights instead of three, and includes a bias spring. Perhaps having more pieces provides an improved dead-blow effect even when the mass is similar, e.g. H2 and A5H1. I suppose the bias spring makes the system more consistent, e.g. between muzzle up and down, but does it do more? Does the longer body itself contribute to smoother cycling, such as by being less prone to pitch or yaw?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The flat wire spring variable throws me for a loop. I've no idea what that is/does.

The A5 notion is that you get the Rifle buffer weight/spring with it's longer compression position in an RE almost as short as the carbine.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A flat wire spring can provide the "longer compression position" (lower spring constant, flatter force curve) of a standard rifle spring in less space, i.e. a carbine extension. I think there's more to the A5 than that however. If it were merely mass and spring constant it should be possible to duplicate that (the common A5 setup) with an H3 and the right strength of flat-wire spring.
    Last edited by Disciple; 08-01-20 at 12:03.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    You've got the right idea.

There are however at least two mega threads covering the A5 system here and a quick search should reveal a goldmine of information on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    The A5 buffer itself is longer, uses four weights instead of three, and includes a bias spring. Perhaps having more pieces provides an improved dead-blow effect even when the mass is similar, e.g. H2 and A5H1. I suppose the bias spring makes the system more consistent, e.g. between muzzle up and down, but does it do more? Does the longer body itself contribute to smoother cycling, such as by being less prone to pitch or yaw?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I run a5h2 and tubbs flatwire springs in my 10.3,y 12.5 and my 16. I really like the setup. It's also one of those things that you need to try for yourself.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    A flat wire spring can provide the "longer compression position" (lower spring constant, flatter force curve) of a standard rifle spring in less space, i.e. a carbine extension. I think there's more to the A5 than that however. If it were merely mass and spring constant it should be possible to duplicate that (the common A5 setup) with an H3 and the right strength of flat-wire spring.
    Rsilvers best duplicated the A5 or Rifle system with the carbine standard spring and H2 buffer. I forget his measurements, but the flat spring wasn't part of his testing. I forget exactly how close it matched the A5/rifle.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Clint, I shall read more.

corey4, do you use the standard length Tubb spring?

markm, is that on this forum?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    markm, is that on this forum?
    Yes, sir. It's a few years back. "rsilvers" was the guy (formerly of Advanced Armament)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks, I'll search for it.

I found this from Clint, supporting my conjecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    One big advantage of the A5 is the 4 weights it contains vs the 3 in the carbine. For reference, the rifle buffer contains 5+ weights and disks.

The internal moving weights are what make a buffer a BUFFER instead of just a spring guide and bump stop.

A stainless steel body is heavier than aluminum, but it can't have more moving weights inside than 3 tungsten, and therefore can't be a better buffer.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    markm, did rsilvers throw the H6 into the mix? I know it’s an odd option, but it was the choice of the Army.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast