Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Theoretical advantage of A5 buffer system?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    What is the internal stroke of the A5 buffer, i.e. how far can the buffer weights move within the buffer body?
    I haven’t measured.

I’m hazy but I want say Vltor made it slightly longer than a std carbine buffer. Don’t quote me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Botton line, they cost a little more and there is often upside and no downside. Zero downside that I've found. If you run a can, helps a lot. I dont know anything about the flatware either, I just use the spring they send with package. BCM makes one too.

There is a 5 position A5 or 7 position A5. I think they made the 5 for people that wanted their stock to go all the down on gun. So length could vary.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 08-04-20 at 10:56.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    By all accounts they are superior. I have no doubt of that. I was merely curious why that is so from a theoretical perspective. My questions have been answered as thoroughly as I could have hoped for. Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    https://www.arbuildjunkie.com/vltor-...stem-overview/

This Q&A with the designer at Vltor talks about the A5 system development and theory behind its effectiveness.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I read that article before starting this thread. I did not find it satisfying. Emphasis is given to running a spring with a longer free length, but this can be achieved in the carbine extension using a flat wire spring. Emphasis is also given to the possibility of uncoupled mass above carbine H3 but the standard A5H2 is no heavier yet people find it superior. They did not spend much time talking about the biasing spring other than mentioning that it does not negate the deadblow effect on closing.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Emphasis is also given to the possibility of uncoupled mass above carbine H3 but the standard A5H2 is no heavier yet people find it superior.
    This is the thing that made rsilvers's findings interesting. The H2 carbine, although lighter, mimicked the Rifle/A5H2 most closely. In other words direct weight comparisons between carbine and A5 don't translate due to the different springs.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would love to find that post by rsilvers but I have as yet been unable to.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    How does the A5 improve anything? The bcg moves the same distance. Over the years I've tried A5, flatwire springs, and heavy buffers. Nothing corrects issues like proper gas port. BRT gas tubes are a miracle.

I still run Tubbs springs, they just work.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Thanks for the kind words.

We believe proper gassing is the most important aspect.

A properly gassed gun will run a variety of buffers reliably, while no amount of heavy buffer will fully tame a grossly over gassed gun.

The A5 system does add a level of refinement and consistency vs conventional carbine buffer system.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkracka View Post
    How does the A5 improve anything? The bcg moves the same distance. Over the years I've tried A5, flatwire springs, and heavy buffers. Nothing corrects issues like proper gas port. BRT gas tubes are a miracle.

I still run Tubbs springs, they just work.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This is the thing that made rsilvers's findings interesting. The H2 carbine, although lighter, mimicked the Rifle/A5H2 most closely. In other words direct weight comparisons between carbine and A5 don't translate due to the different springs.
    Don't suppose you know what would be the ideal flavor of A5 (has to be H0 or H1...cause anything heavier won't work) for an upper that won't run anything heavier than an H1 carbine and milspec carbine spring?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast