Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Theoretical advantage of A5 buffer system?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Does the H6 use more than three buffer weights and disks? I haven't been able to confirm this. If it does and one can figure out how to add a bias spring it would be very interesting to see a test of that modified buffer with a flatwire spring in a carbine RE versus the A5 system.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The biasing spring doesn’t do anything as there is recoil happening before the bolt starts to unlock that will set the weights to the front of the buffer.

It was not put in the A5 buffer for any functional purpose.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The A5 has an actual and well documented advantage over the carbine length RE/buffer/action spring for ARs running an adjustable stock. The only real disadvantage are cost and availability.

Even cost is a wash compared to systems using proprietary springs, buffer weights, etc.

Andy

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For a new carbine the A5 system seems like the obvious choice for only $50 extra, assuming you can find one right now.

In other applications less so. Consider a pistol with the Law folding adapter. The adapter and its extension plug already add length and mass and the A5 would be more of the same. The Law plug could require the use of a lighter buffer which might not be as effective as the popular A5H2.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yes, sir. It's a few years back. "rsilvers" was the guy (formerly of Advanced Armament)
    I still haven't found that but I did find something else of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    The flat wire buffer spring concept makes no sense... Flat wire springs are normally good because the spring won't come as close to solid height - but that benefit is when you have the room for a larger OD or a smaller ID. On the AR, the buffer tube and buffer constrain the spring so that a flat-wire version is merely missing some material and hence would be higher stress than a round-wire spring. I would expect it to be more likely to break.

Feedback Score
    I think rsilvers had it completely wrong about flat-wire springs seeing more stress and hence being more likely to break. In fact, given two springs of equal strength, one with a flattened profile and the other round, the flat one will see less stress and be more durable.

Bow makers have known this for many thousands of years.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    For a new carbine the A5 system seems like the obvious choice for only $50 extra, assuming you can find one right now.

In other applications less so. Consider a pistol with the Law folding adapter. The adapter and its extension plug already add length and mass and the A5 would be more of the same. The Law plug could require the use of a lighter buffer which might not be as effective as the popular A5H2.
    There are no issues using the A5 in conjunction with a Law folder on an AR pistol or SBR, in fact shorties are where the A5 really shines in my opinion. Dropping down to the next buffer to accommodate the added weight of the BCG extension is something that is only gonna be required if your setup was already running on the ragged edge of reliability. If you're right in the middle of the reliability window in terms of gas port, buffer and spring combo, and ammo, which is where I prefer mine to be, adding the Law folder with BCG extension won't cause it to start malfunctioning unless you were borderline over sprung, over buffered, and/or using weak ammo before hand.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thank you.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    The biasing spring doesn’t do anything as there is recoil happening before the bolt starts to unlock that will set the weights to the front of the buffer.

It was not put in the A5 buffer for any functional purpose.
    You have constructed a post wherein every single sentence is 100% incorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast