Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Theoretical advantage of A5 buffer system?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    You have constructed a post wherein every single sentence is 100% incorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok then.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Clint, I shall read more.

corey4, do you use the standard length Tubb spring?

markm, is that on this forum?
    i use the ar15 version: http://www.davidtubb.com/ar15-bufferspring and i use the 308 version for my 308s.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    You have constructed a post wherein every single sentence is 100% incorrect.
    Lol! I did pop the spring out of some of my A5 buffers. I didn't notice a difference, but I left any new builds with the spring intact.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Theoretical advantage of A5 buffer system?

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Lol! I did pop the spring out of some of my A5 buffers. I didn't notice a difference, but I left any new builds with the spring intact.
    It’s a rate stabilizing spring. It also ensures that during the first 1/8” to 1/4” of carrier movement (when unlocking occurs) that the stack of internal weights applies full mass to the rear of the carrier. It turns every milspec carrier into one of those fancy weighted carriers, but with no downside.

Now, shooting from a stable position and not a lot of up-angle and it might not make a ton of difference in terms of feel.

My brass always stacks tighter on the ground when I have the spring in place. I’ve tried it both ways as well.

Last edited by BufordTJustice; 08-03-20 at 11:44.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Theoretically it’s supposed to give you less felt recoil ala rifle type buffer system.

Just as markm stated below.

What is the theoretical advantage of the A5 buffer system over a carbine buffer system with a flat-wire spring?

Use of flat-wire allows for a longer spring with a lower spring constant which should be able to match the A5 force curve unless the latter used an even longer flat-wire spring.

The A5 buffer itself is longer, uses four weights instead of three, and includes a bias spring. Perhaps having more pieces provides an improved dead-blow effect even when the mass is similar, e.g. H2 and A5H1. I suppose the bias spring makes the system more consistent, e.g. between muzzle up and down, but does it do more? Does the longer body itself contribute to smoother cycling, such as by being less prone to pitch or yaw?
    I never used the flat wire springs. But the A5H2 I used was pretty meh.

The flat wire spring variable throws me for a loop. I've no idea what that is/does.

The A5 notion is that you get the Rifle buffer weight/spring with it's longer compression position in an RE almost as short as the carbine.
    This is what I currently use in all of my non-SBR rifles and they work well. For the SBR’s, they get the H3.

Rsilvers best duplicated the A5 or Rifle system with the carbine standard spring and H2 buffer. I forget his measurements, but the flat spring wasn't part of his testing. I forget exactly how close it matched the A5/rifle.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    BufordTJustice, I read your entire thread about the A5 and LMT e-carrier and I have a question. Rather than necro-post I'll ask here. With the A5H4 and a standard rifle spring, and with the carbine aimed straight up, does it still easily strip the first round from a magazine when released with the BHO?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Theoretical advantage of A5 buffer system?

BufordTJustice, I read your entire thread about the A5 and LMT e-carrier and I have a question. Rather than necro-post I'll ask here. With the A5H4 and a standard rifle spring, and with the carbine aimed straight up, does it still easily strip the first round from a magazine when released with the BHO?
    Yes.

With the caveat that my guns all have a few K rounds through them. So they are broken in.

In a new upper, with a new parkerized carrier, you may have some issues with that specific test until you get a few hundred rounds. But only in the vertical position.

Last edited by BufordTJustice; 08-03-20 at 16:47.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks. I would like to polish my carrier rails and sides of gas key the way you did. Is jouler's rouge by hand followed by a naked felt wheel at low speed, as described in post #97 of https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...59#post1436559 the method you recommend still?

Also, do you still use and recommend the V Seven cam pins?
    Last edited by Disciple; 08-03-20 at 17:15.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Thanks. I would like to polish my carrier rails and sides of gas key the way you did. Is jouler's rouge by hand followed by a naked felt wheel at low speed, as described in post #97 of https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...59#post1436559 the method you recommend still?

Also, do you still use and recommend the V Seven cam pins?
    Yes and yes.

It’s just skipping the break in period. Wear acceleration. Used it on dozens of builds.

The V7 cam pin remains my favorite, but the Lantac pin (which I also use) is excellent as well. Preference, in slight degree, goes to V7, but both are excellent.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What is the internal stroke of the A5 buffer, i.e. how far can the buffer weights move within the buffer body?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast