Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clambering effect on cartridge and crimping

Feedback Score
    Possible good news that it may not affect amount of powder. Will have to experiment with an already decent established load. Not really expecting much more from the fmj stuff. Now if I can keep from collapsing shoulders when crimping ass I once did...

Shoot well, be safe.

Feedback Score
    The RCBS AR Series dies have a taper crimp, and far less chance of bulging the neck below the crimp.

The taper crimp works well if you use a Lyman type "M" expander. The second step aids in straight inline bullet seating and reduces bullet runout.

You just bump the case mouth onto the second step and this allows you to start the bullet straight into the neck with just your fingers.

Last edited by bigedp51; 08-01-20 at 18:25.

Feedback Score
    Lee already ordered.... Interesting comment about bulge below crimp. Is that why product description lists carbide and sizing? Maybe I can still screw this up....

Feedback Score
    If you seat the bullets and crimp in seperate operations it will greatly reduce the chance of bulging below the crimp.

And reducing the expander diameter to .002 to .003 smaller than bullet diameter will increase bullet grip.

In the photo of the Lyman type "M" .223 expander it is .003 smaller than bullet diameter. And its second step after brass spring back makes the case mouth .001 larger than bullet diameter. Then a taper crimp will close this up and streamline the case mouth.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
    Now if I can keep from collapsing shoulders when crimping ass I once did...
    I've had that happen when the collet jams in the die. Lee dies do really good stuff, but they are low cost and cheaply made.

My current LEE FCD has been chugging along, trouble free for a while now. I periodically tap the bottom of the die to make sure it's not binding up and it's still moving freely.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Appreciate the tip. I do work ram very slow/steady. Do you ever lube sliding collet?

Did the measure/chamber/measure again. Same gun, 5 Swede Win 62 OT cartridges. All elongated 2 to 2 1/2 thou. At least they all got longer instead of longer and shorter as reloads did. FWIW, BA .750 Hanson w white springed H buffer and Toolcraft phos bolt. Gonna measure some bullet/expander diameters for k&g's if I can get honeydoos done...
    Last edited by triggerjerk; 08-03-20 at 11:32. Reason: Love to edit

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
    Appreciate the tip. I do work ram very slow/steady. Do you ever lube sliding collet?
    My FCD runs in my Dillon 550b, so it gets a pretty good workout at a regular ram stroke rate. The die doesn't need lube. It's more of an issue with the steel getting burrs and sticking.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    My FCD runs in my Dillon 550b, so it gets a pretty good workout at a regular ram stroke rate. The die doesn't need lube. It's more of an issue with the steel getting burrs and sticking.
    I just bought a Dillon 750 and I love the thing so much more than my decade old 100 dollar Lee turret press, but do you notice that the lee dies are almost too short to fit your Dillon? Mine are on the last thread and I have to watch it to make sure it isn't moving. I love the simplicity of the Lees but think I may have to purchase different dies, but in this current climate they seem to be hard to find

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    You can put the die nut on the bottom of the tool head. A less than elegant solution but will tide you over until you get new dies.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chamber143 View Post
    I just bought a Dillon 750 and I love the thing so much more than my decade old 100 dollar Lee turret press, but do you notice that the lee dies are almost too short to fit your Dillon? Mine are on the last thread and I have to watch it to make sure it isn't moving.
    Wow. Not at all an issue on my 550b.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast