Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clambering effect on cartridge and crimping

Feedback Score
    Yeah I thought about that as well but the nuts that came with the Dillon are thinner than the lee ones and they are literally on the last thread or two, but are working for now. Any recommendations on dies for 223?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
    Have searched crimp but yields too large, so please bear with me...

Have been reloading no crimp for AR and satisfied, until:

Was gifted a bunch of unidentified component 62 and 55 grain fmj bullets. Weight sorted (1.2 grains extreme variation) and separated bullets with lead running up out of the bases. Weighed powder for ladder testing. New, unfired lc brass. Got 3min groups from a 2 min gun. Yeah, not match bullets or gun, but:

Much, much less effort to seat than other experiences led me to redo and expand on a test once
    Suggested to me:

Measure headspace, chamber round, remeasure headspace. Paralled previous experience in that there was 2 thou shoulder setback from chambering. What I added was seating depth measurement pre and post chambering. Limited time so only 5 rounds checked, but had seating depth change a thou or 2 BOTH directions.

Doubt crimping will make big dif in accuracy, but considering cause of ocd. Since I trim gauged from shoulder (typically less than 2 thou hdsp variance) would Lee collet or what be best for consistent crimp?

Know crimping won't be magic, but I hate having or introducing variation. Chosen loads not hot, so I doubt setback induced pressure spikes, but...

Thanks in advance....
    I don't want to be that guy, but you're putting WAY TO MUCH WORK into 3moa bullets. You can't polish turds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    For dies I like the Redding S-Type bushing die with a TiN bushing.

For seating I prefer the Forster Benchrest Seater die.

Then of course, the Lee FCD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chamber143 View Post
    Any recommendations on dies for 223?
    Dillon dies for 223. The stuck case remover function of the sizing die is worth the admission price to me.

Feedback Score
    Ubet, no sweat. Knew turds going in. I once took to SD sorting thousands of fmj's during boring football games in hopes mostly of reducing flyers somewhat (if I keep shooting, flyers usually become part of larger group). 20+ to 30+ thou variation in MEN, Monarch, Win 62 OT, Wolf and couple of others can't remember. This recent fmj ordeal taught me variations prolly bullet constr as compared to factory fmj cartridge assy. Index hole in seater stem (20yr old rcbs comp) and guage differ, but 7 thou short seat depth could have 5 thou long oal (I know, I know) or vice versa. Visibly huge var in cannelure position on brass w +-.002 oal var.

Kinda glad this has led to crimp attempt. It's about the journey for me, tho it is nice to experience success every now and then.

Btw, I did polish the turds. They were so badly tarnished, I tumbled them!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    I don't want to be that guy, but you're putting WAY TO MUCH WORK into 3moa bullets.
    This. Once you figure out a great process with your equipment and method, running mediocre bullets just won't cut it.

I don't even have any FMJ in my loading supplies.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Roger that! Again, 1300 of these things these were a "gift". Have much better stuff to check crimping effect on. Call it a $20 experiment since my time has no monetary value at this stage of my life, and I like piddling with this stuff....
    Last edited by triggerjerk; 08-05-20 at 10:49. Reason: Editing is sop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123