Thread: Modified Tikka T3x with XLR Element 3 chassis

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Modified Tikka T3x with XLR Element 3 chassis

Overview of my modified factory Tikka T3x.

* Tikka T3x Lite 6.5 CM LH. Factory trigger set @ 2lbs.
    * Proof 6.5 CM 22" Sendero profile (2.75 lbs).
    * WTO Switchlug for quick barrel changes with a hex wrench. WTO did the installation, highly recommended.
    * APA brake
    * XLR Element 3.0 chassis (3 lbs with folding buttstock assembly)
    * Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 F1 - Mil, with Hawkins rings.

Thoughts on the rifle and mods:
    * I'm not a hardcore competitor, and chose to avoid the fast-changing and expensive custom actions scene. Decided to build my bolt gun collection around a proven factory action that's inherently accurate and reliable, and a stable design that should be around for a while.
    * The WTO Switchlug system added something useful: the ability to easily change barrels, in the field without bulky specialized tools, and without having to send the rifle to a gunsmith. With a Switchlug (they can fit them to most modern actions), you send the dimensional specs for your action to a gunsmith, and they can spin a new barrel that will headspace correctly and you can install using only a 30 inch-pound torque wrench. Don't yet have a 2nd barrel for this rifle, but planning to add a 6 CM barrel this year.
    * Was aiming for a lighter rifle overall. Past range rifles were typically in the range of 14 to 16 pounds. This rifle as shown: scoped, Harris bipod install, and an empty mag: 11.2 lbs. A noticeable improvement, and with the brake, can still get back on target quickly.

Couple of groups. Yesterday all I had on hand was Win 125 FMJ and was sighting in the NF, so for now I'll show instead a couple of WTO's test targets with factory loads. Their test targets confirmed that the rifle likes the medium 6.5 bullet weights vs heavier ones, at least with the ones tried so far. Ordered some of the Barnes 127gr and Federal Premium 135 that they got results with, should get a chance to try those in a couple weeks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    [Continued]

The Switchlug clamp.

Folding buttstock does not lock, folded. But that's ok, the main use for it now is it's handy to remove the bolt. I may also get a less bulky, more compact rifle case for transport. Overall the comfort and adjustability of the Element stock was one of the biggest wins on this rifle, for me.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    This thread is perfect for my needs!

I will be ordering the same chassis for my Tikka T3X Tac A1. I’m also running the same scope as you.

I’m not a gunsmith of any kind other than Glock and AR15’s. Did you run into any problems installing your action into the chassis? Is it pretty straight forward, pull action from old stock, drop into new chassis and torque to spec?

I’m stuck between the collapsible stock versus the fixed stock. Do you have any opinions or regrets to going collapsible versus fixed?

Anything special to know before getting into this deeper than what I am?

EDITED TO ADD: In regards to the brake, any likes/dislikes with it? I’m tossing around the idea of the Surefire brake but this self timing thing has my interest peaked.
    Last edited by davidjinks; 11-11-20 at 19:06.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If it were me....just sayin', I'd probably go out and shoot it a few more good range sessions, make sure you actually like the rifle and no major warranty issues, before you order a chassis and other custom options. You never know, you might actually like the chassis that came with your Tac. It has a reputation of being a pretty decent factory chassis, capable of VERY good accuracy.

If you decide to upgrade, this chassis is drop-in. On mine, the entire thing with the buttstock and options I selected, is only 3 pounds! Almost unheard of for a chassis, and you can make it lighter still if you want to fork over more $$$ for the magnesium version of the Element 3.0 chassis, and then add a lightweight buttstock. XLR is outstanding on customer service. In fact when you go to buy your chassis, I'd actually research options on their site, write down what you THINK you want, then call them first, ask for Matt. Have him walk you through the options for your rifle on the Element chassis. There are quite a few choices to make and it's easy to pick something without realizing it's incompatible or what impact it'll have on you. For example, you could choose a standard AR buttstock like a CTR or something, but theirs are actually much better IMHO, very lightweight but more adjustable.

I like an adjustable stock, and think it's well worth it. Also, don't make the mistake of cutting corners and skipping the folding stock. Almost everybody is gonna end up benefitting from that feature, not only for compact carry in a shorter rifle bag, but because it makes it easier to remove your bolt for cleaning.

Last thing, the brake. If you're not gonna run a can, definitely run a brake, and the APA brake I have on here is possibly the best one you can get judging by what PRS competitors use. See this comparison and ranking article. However, "best" is a tricky thing. It's outstanding at reducing recoil, obviously the main job of the brake. I found however the blast was more than I like, and switched to another brake that's not as good at recoil reduction but has reduced blast. But other folks, like my gunsmith and range partner, say the blast doesn't bother them as long as they double up plugs + muffs. My gunsmith says the APA "little bastard" for 6.5 CM is the brake he gets asked to mount on more range rifles than any other brake.

So if you're interested in the APA, mine's for sale, barely used, I think maybe 100 rds through it. :-) PM if interested, I haven't even listed it yet.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Nicely done Maximus.
    My experience; you can tighten your groups if you handload.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Were those handlolds or factory? Yes, handlolds might tighten up a bit and offer more flexibility on loads. What is the twist on that barrel? Nice gun.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    All factory ammo, a 1:8 twist barrel. And now have a 6 CM barrel on the way, planning to try that early in the new year.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Thanks for your post!

Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    If it were me....just sayin', I'd probably go out and shoot it a few more good range sessions, make sure you actually like the rifle and no major warranty issues, before you order a chassis and other custom options. You never know, you might actually like the chassis that came with your Tac. It has a reputation of being a pretty decent factory chassis, capable of VERY good accuracy.

If you decide to upgrade, this chassis is drop-in. On mine, the entire thing with the buttstock and options I selected, is only 3 pounds! Almost unheard of for a chassis, and you can make it lighter still if you want to fork over more $$$ for the magnesium version of the Element 3.0 chassis, and then add a lightweight buttstock. XLR is outstanding on customer service. In fact when you go to buy your chassis, I'd actually research options on their site, write down what you THINK you want, then call them first, ask for Matt. Have him walk you through the options for your rifle on the Element chassis. There are quite a few choices to make and it's easy to pick something without realizing it's incompatible or what impact it'll have on you. For example, you could choose a standard AR buttstock like a CTR or something, but theirs are actually much better IMHO, very lightweight but more adjustable.

I like an adjustable stock, and think it's well worth it. Also, don't make the mistake of cutting corners and skipping the folding stock. Almost everybody is gonna end up benefitting from that feature, not only for compact carry in a shorter rifle bag, but because it makes it easier to remove your bolt for cleaning.

Last thing, the brake. If you're not gonna run a can, definitely run a brake, and the APA brake I have on here is possibly the best one you can get judging by what PRS competitors use. See this comparison and ranking article. However, "best" is a tricky thing. It's outstanding at reducing recoil, obviously the main job of the brake. I found however the blast was more than I like, and switched to another brake that's not as good at recoil reduction but has reduced blast. But other folks, like my gunsmith and range partner, say the blast doesn't bother them as long as they double up plugs + muffs. My gunsmith says the APA "little bastard" for 6.5 CM is the brake he gets asked to mount on more range rifles than any other brake.

So if you're interested in the APA, mine's for sale, barely used, I think maybe 100 rds through it. :-) PM if interested, I haven't even listed it yet.