Thread: MRO question

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

MRO question

Went to the range to shoot my 6720 with Aimpoint PRO and verify zero for a class next weekend.
    Also shot my Barrett Rec7 with Trijicon MRO.
    I can shoot the PRO both eyes open no problem. The MRO is blurry and I’m not sure what’s going on. If I close one eye, I don’t have a problem. I haven’t shot the Trijicon before yesterday, so I’m not sure if it’s me or the optic is wonky.
    Any ideas?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    If it's clear with your weak eye closed it's not the MRO. Let's assume you are RH and right eye dominant... Hold your thumb up at arms length aiming at something and close your left eye. Your sight picture should not change. Now close your right eye. The sight picture will jump to the right of what you are aiming at. If you pass that test cover the front of the MRO with some black tape. Mount the rifle with both eyes open. You should still see the dot superimposed on the target even with the lens blocked. I train new RDS shooters with the lens blocked. They learn not to close the left eye like shooting a scope. You really shouldn't be aiming. You should be looking at the target not the dot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    If you pass that test cover the front of the MRO with some black tape. Mount the rifle with both eyes open. You should still see the dot superimposed on the target even with the lens blocked. I train new RDS shooters with the lens blocked. They learn not to close the left eye like shooting a scope. You really shouldn't be aiming. You should be looking at the target not the dot.
    This is a very good tip, I have been trying to train myself to keep both open and this helps.

Feedback Score
    Is the target blurry? Or just the dot? I have astigmatism and red dots tend to "bloom" pretty bad for me. I'm sure you've ruled this out, but it's all I got for ideas.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It is only visible when I shoot both eyes open.
    The dot is fine, it’s like the target gets blurry through the tube. My Aimpoint and Sig optics don’t do this.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Are you focusing on the target or the dot?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    It is only visible when I shoot both eyes open.
    The dot is fine, it’s like the target gets blurry through the tube. My Aimpoint and Sig optics don’t do this.
    Maybe if there is an aberration in the glass you might be able to focus through it with only one eye but struggle to focus when both eyes are open. If you focus on an object and then bring the sight up between it and your eye does the object stay in focus throughout or do you feel your eye refocus?