Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Owners Opinion

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Beretta PX4 Owners Opinion

Interested in picking up a PX4 based on some positive reviews and the fact they are all currently produced in Italy. Anyone with experience have issues or a reason to steer clear of the PX4 series?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I bought a PX4 Compact G model after I rented one at the indoor range. The rented gun was of course very worn but it showed great accuracy and was very soft shooting. So I bought one as soon as I could locate a G model.

I think the rotating barrel system had something to do with the soft recoil. It was very accurate and I never had any malfunction. I installed a reduced power hammer spring to help the DA pull. The grip was comfortable and I added the Talon stickers for a little more traction.

I intended to carry the gun and that's where the down side was (for me). The gun's slide was thick, thicker than a Glock, S&W M&P and CZ P07. I think all Beretta's slide tend to be on the thick side. I know a lot of proponent of the PX4 carry them in the appendix location, I don't know how they can stand it. I don't carry appendix, I prefer the conventional location of slightly behind the hip. But the gun felt thick.

The DA pull was good with the reduced power spring but felt long and I couldn't get used to it. I couldn't shoot it as well as the M&P and CZ 07 in timed drills. I tend to yank that long DA and even the single action pull low left. In other words, I shoot it like a Glock. So for me the experiment wasn't a success.

I'm not going to talk anyone out of it, as it is a quality, reliable and accurate gun (when I don't shoot it fast). It just didn't work out for me. Find one that you can try, shoot 50, 100 rounds or more to see if it's for you.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    You need to look at the LTT version. It greatly changes the DA/SA transition. Watch YouTube on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A little bulkier than Glocks and other similar sized compacts. I didn't like how slick the grip was and the flatness of the grip sides. Shooting it was never an issue for me, but finding a good appendix holster was difficult. The polymer on the frame also feels cheap and can start to dent/deform around the mag well after a while.

I've heard the LTT trigger bar helps a lot in lightening the double action pull and shortening the single action reset.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's a fine little gun. I have a full size and a compact.

Pros
    -Shoots soft. The Compact shoots particularly soft for it's size.
    -Rotating barrel is unique and works well.
    -The ramped rear slide profile is good for concealment.
    -Langdon and a couple other guys on Pistol Forum have well over 50,000 rounds through theirs. Maybe 90k or 100k. I can't remember, it's significant.
    -Other than the oversized decock levers, the controls are well placed.
    -Accurate.
    -The triggers are pretty good. An $8 spring change makes it very good. LTT trigger work makes it outstanding.
    -Beretta and LTT support them well.

Downsides:
    -Sight radius. The Compact is comparable to a G19 in size with a G26 sight radius. The Full Size is comparable to a G17 with a G19 sight radius.
    -No grip texture.
    -Very little aftermarket beyond Langdon Tactical.
    -LTT offers the only RDS mount. It's expensive and there's no BUIS available.

Langdon has a solution for all the downsides.

Verdict.
    The PX4 is an outstanding iron sighted carry gun, if that's your thing. Alas, I've chosen the Dot Life, so it's on the chopping block. I think there are better options for DA/SA red dot guns.

I'm not affiliated with LTT. He's the only one doing aftermarket for the PX4 series and I'm satisfied with his work.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    finding a good appendix holster was difficult.
    JM Custom Kydex has a couple different options. They're solid.

Feedback Score
    29 (87%)
    Sample of 1.... I took a two day pistol class in March, and the guy next to me had a px4 that he recently acquired. He said he decided to start carrying appendix and wanted a da/sa for that purpose. Iirc his was a compact or subcompact doublestack. It was a total jamomatic. He was messing with that gun the whole two days. The class host, who is also an instructor and a gun smith, was messing with it, too, including taking it back to his shop and polishing the feed ramp or something. And it still wouldn't run right.

ETA: he said he bought it new

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Nocaster; 08-04-20 at 15:05.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    There is a very simple solution for the slick grip, Talon Grip. Many people use those, including myself on my gun. It totally eliminated the slick feeling. I like it so much that I put them on my M&P.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    I like mine overall, but it is thick which I don't like in an IWB holster.

Feedback Score
    My full size 9mm was reliable. Swapping from F to G type is easy.

Grip is way too slick. (I've used talon grips and they are great but I didn't keep the gun anyway) Barrel a little short / short sight radius. DA trigger a bit long, lots of take-up in the SA, too, but overall the trigger was okay.

My main beef with the gun is it's too bulky. The total effect is it's a 92 with a slick polymer frame and weights only 2-4 ounces less.

The smaller versions aren't as tall or long, but are still fat.

If I were offered a M92 or Px4 for free or had to buy one or the other or use one or the other I'd take the M92.

I sold my Px4 to a buddy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast