Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR Smiths

Feedback Score

AR Smiths

I'm currently not set-up to do any type of gunsmithing on my ARs. I have a table, vise and that's as far as I've gotten.

Looking for a recommendation(s) for a smith that specializes in the AR platform. I would prefer someone on the East Coast, but am open to any location.

All that being said, has anyone used ADCO in Sylvania, Ohio? How was your experience?
    Here comes the thunder.

Feedback Score
    What are you looking to do to your AR? The lower receiver is pretty easy to work on with just a table vice and a couple of tools.

Upper receivers are a bit more troublesome if you're looking to remove/install barrel nuts and muzzle devices that might be on really tight.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post
    What are you looking to do to your AR?
    This ^^
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Had adco taper pin a lp gas block 8 or 9 years ago no issues quick turn around
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber329 View Post
    I'm currently not set-up to do any type of gunsmithing on my ARs. I have a table, vise and that's as far as I've gotten.

Looking for a recommendation(s) for a smith that specializes in the AR platform. I would prefer someone on the East Coast, but am open to any location.

All that being said, has anyone used ADCO in Sylvania, Ohio? How was your experience?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post
    What are you looking to do to your AR? The lower receiver is pretty easy to work on with just a table vice and a couple of tools.

Upper receivers are a bit more troublesome if you're looking to remove/install barrel nuts and muzzle devices that might be on really tight.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Depending on the rail system I go with, removal/installation of the barrel nut on my current ARs.

Would like to have a receiver checked to ensure it hasn't been damaged by Bubba removing a barrel nut and installing a rail system on a used rifle I'm considering. The dude had it in a vice and really torqued on it with a cheater pipe to break-loose a barrel nut; his words not mine. What are the chances he damaged the receiver? Visually, everything looks fine, but I'm concerned.
    Here comes the thunder.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber329 View Post
    Depending on the rail system I go with, removal/installation of the barrel nut on my current ARs.

Would like to have a receiver checked to ensure it hasn't been damaged by Bubba removing a barrel nut and installing a rail system on a used rifle I'm considering. The dude had it in a vice and really torqued on it with a cheater pipe to break-loose a barrel nut; his words not mine. What are the chances he damaged the receiver? Visually, everything looks fine, but I'm concerned.
    Ass-u-me-ing that the upper is black anodized, by the time you get the upper sent off, looked at and returned, you'd probably have as much into it as buying a new upper would cost you.

Of course everything is out of stock but, IMO, BCM blemished uppers are your best deal going @ $59.995 - https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-uppe...emo-scratched/ - you can have them email you when they are in stock by using the 'notify me when' box.

Another thought might be to check with the School of the American Rifle and see if Chad would do his gaging magic on the upper - if it's torqued out of spec it just may be of some use to him as an example. He's on here under user name clandestine if you want to PM him.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    John Thomas- Retro Gun Works.

I have used ADCO as well and both get the job done, but Johns attention to detail, pricing, and turnaround time make him the best in the Biz IMO

He is in IL, but you wont be waiting long. I have had stuff sent, completed, and back to me in the same week (in PA)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've seen some crazy barrel nut removals with pipe wrenches and more, including one of mine. These mostly involve PSA but I know of one other. Remarkably, never saw damage. If you have a large enough vise solidly bolted down to a sturdy table, it'll likely go easy for you. In my instance, a pipe wrench, cheater bar, heat hot enough to melt my upper rcvr vise-block, etc, did absolute zero. Put the armorer's wrench on and one decent whack with a dead-blow hammer broke it loose ezpz. This is after, hours before, beating the crap out of a wrench with a 8-9 lb. sledge. Believe my particular struggle was a DPMS. The spring of the delta ring was so stout I had to dremel the ring off in order to have a "low/no-resistance" access to the barrel nut. Several hours of worthless struggle. Single whack with a decently-sized dead-blow hammer accomplished the deed. Never again.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Put your location up and maybe a memeber on this board could help you out. In driving distance and very fair if not down right cheap for pricing. Good luck.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Yes, where are you as a vice, reaction rod and AR wrench can do just about anything necessary. Add a freezer to put gas block pins before the install along with some painter tape to avoid scratches and mostly gtg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast