Thread: colt 9mm carbine firing pin spring

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

colt 9mm carbine firing pin spring

How stout are the colt springs? I have a foxtrot mike bolt (colt Pattern) and the spring seems quite week/wimpy. It works just fine but was wondering about the colt spring. Also I have a wilson combat spring (have not tried it} that looks visually the same as colt, yet the WC one says only for use in their rifles and is a lot stiffer than the FM one.

Feedback Score
    I got a Colt spring and it will not fit inside the firing pin channel of my FM carrier. It’s a larger diameter, beefier wire, and also slightly longer.

If it were the same dimensions I think it would be ok. It has more resistance than the FM spring but not enough that a full power hammer spring couldn’t overcome.

Does the Wilson spring fit in the FM carrier? I was also wondering about CMMG springs. Also, I think I read somewhere that someone picked up a spring at Ace hardware and cut it to the right length.

Of course, we could just contact FM and ask for a spare. But what fun would that be?
    Last edited by JB2000; 09-22-20 at 16:42.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    My FM9 upper firing pin wore down after only a couple hundred rounds and they quickly sent me a new firing pin and a stronger spring.

No fun, but it works!

FYI I polished the feed ramps, the bottom of the chamber, and the front of the extractor to get it to feed Ranger 147HPs reliably.

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just checked no it does not fit the diameter is to large. I do have the wilson firing pin in it but have not fired it yet. The wilson pin looked exactly the same and measured within one thousands of an inch so i'm sure it should work fine.

Feedback Score
    I reached out to FM Products this morning and they have a kit that includes a replacement firing pin, spring, ejector, and tools for install. It’s $20 but you have to send a check or money order - Pay Pal shut down their account. I plan to order one.

Dennis,
    Interesting about your firing pin. I’ve got around 500 rounds through mine and the firing pin looks fine. There were some CMMGs that had a similar problem. Maybe a supplier produced some firing pins that were not heat treated properly? At any rate, a good reason to keep a spare.
    Last edited by JB2000; 09-23-20 at 13:01.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just a FYI my firing pin did not break but it did have a slight bur on the tip so I replaced it (200+ rounds on it) spring is okay but seems a little wimpy.

Feedback Score
    So, last night I was disassembling my bolt, and my firing pin spring launched somewhere into dust bunny land. I’ve got a replacement on the way from FM Products but was going to try to find one locally. Does anyone know what brands will fit?

Colt = Diameter too large
    CMMG = ?
    Wilson = No
    Frontier Armory = ?
    PSA = ?

What about springs from the hardware store or Amazon?

Thanks!
    Last edited by JB2000; 10-30-20 at 17:13.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Have a wilson it is to large. I sent 20 bucks to FM products two weeks ago and am waiting for the bolt rebuild kit myself

Feedback Score
    I picked up a spring at the local hardware store that, externally is the correct dimensions, but the wire is too thick so it won’t fit over the firing pin.

It looks like the correct dimensions are 1” L, 0.18” OD, 0.014” wire dia. Grainier carries two springs that might work, Raymond #54KM88, 54KM87.

I did find a spring in a pen that fits! I guess you could use that in a pinch if you had to.