View Poll Results: Which $300 Optic?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Holosun HS503CU (Circle dot, Shake Awake, etc)

5 83.33%
  • Strike Eagle 1-6 / PA 1-6 / other $300 LPVO (Please Post if "Other)

1 16.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie needs help: Holosun HS503CU vs Strike Eagle 1-6 / PA 1-6 / other $300 LPVO

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I can't really answer the question of if you should get the RDS or LPVO. I have astigmatism so an LPVO will always be my choice.

I do however own 3 holosuns and have been using a PA 1-8 SFP since it was released about 3 years ago. All 3 of my holosuns have made it longer than 2 years constant on without battery changes. 2 of them have multiple cases of ammo under them. 1 rides on my CZ scorpion that I shoot PCC with. The CZ has much more recoil than a regular AR, and even after 2 cases of 9mm the optic has never flickered.

My PA 1-8 should be built to the same standards as the gen 3 1-6. It has probably 3 cases of 556, 300 rounds of 308, and almost double that in 6.5 creedmoor. The 308 and 6.5 where all from the MSR10 platform which is snappier then a regular AR10. If I didn't locktite the mount it would loosen in less than 80 rounds. Ive dropped it in the 3 gun barrel, rolled it around my truck bed, and slammed it into barricades during matches. Never once has it lost zero. Theres some minor dents in the caps, and scratches along the tube. I have some time behind my friends 1-6 raptor, and it is decent. I think when people say the PA optics are not day light bright, they really don't understand how the reticle works. Having a thick etched donut around a chevron is very clear where your bullets are going in good day light. When it becomes an issue is shooting in the dark or into deep shadows from brighter areas. The illumination is good enough for dusk or dark work. However there is no denial that my Steiner P4xi is far superior in the glass and useful illumination. The ACSS reticle is crazy good. Like when you start using it you will think: "why wasn't this done before?". Using Strelok and ACSS I was able to finish my last precision gas gun match 4th in class and 27/77 over all. Im talking about some targets barely over MOA in the 300-400 yard range. I get solid first round hits with ACSS when I do my part.

The whole point of this post is that in my experience: Primary arms and Holosun make a fantastic product. Not only have they been durable under my use; but PA has excellent customer service that I have used many times in the past. Even if I am not buying an ACSS optic I still get excellent results shopping through primary arms. I really don't think you can do better than a PA 1-6 until you spend at least $600 and jump up to the Vortex PST or the Steiner P4Xi.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Inside 200 yards RDS is your amigo. Get Binos for spotting threats and game.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    you guys are awesome. this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. now I just have to make a choice.

thanks again. if anyone else has additional relevant opinions, keep them coming.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Is there a reason you *need* the shake-awake feature? Because other than that... a red dot's a red dot.
    If it was me and I wanted to spend $300, I'm going Aimpoint PRO all day. Unless you get a smashing deal on something like an MRO, it has no compare in that price range.
    If you do NOT want to spend $300, why not just get the standard PA Slx line micro-dot for a whopping $130/200 with a good quality mount?
    https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...-red-dot-sight

OR like Maximus linked, get the version with the ACSS reticle, if you like that. For the same 503 money, I think that's a way more useful reticle.

Currently running a PA 1-6. I really like the ACSS reticle, and the extra magnification. It IS easier to make hits at 200 with a little extra magnification.
    But like some others have said here, I honestly really miss that fast, heads-up speed that red dots have. After using a PRO and PA micro-dot for years, it's going to take some time to get used to the LPVO.
    I guess it just depends on what you think you'll need most; fast speed at 100yd and in, or still decent speed + ability to PID/hit at longer ranges.

Granted, option #3 is, add a flip-magnifier later to use with the RDS. But I think once you pay for that + a side-flip mount + the RDS, you may as well start looking at LPVOs. But that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 08-07-20 at 21:44.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    here's the reasoning behind my suggestion of that particular holosun model (hs503cu)

1. circle dot reticle. I thought this site would allow me the option to try out the circle dot and the regular dot, since I really don't know what I want. The ACSS reticle seems pretty cool. I get how it would be useful.
    2. auto-brightness. its seems like a cool feature, even if it doesn't work for me, I wanted to go ahead and get a red dot that had it. that way I would not be second guessing my purchase. also the auto-brightness + shake awake would require very little instruction/training if I let someone else borrow this rifle.
    3. no rheostat. since I'm left handed I thought it might interfere with my line of sight. probably not a huge deal, but again, if I'm going to spend $200 on a circle dot holosun, why not spend the extra $50 just so I am not second guessing myself.
    4. shake awake. but this available on most of the holosun models.

I may be way off, so please let me know. I figure no matter which one I ultimately choose (Red Dot or LPVO), I'll probably eventually buy the other, so its just a question of which to buy first. if I get a red dot now, I will probably buy a magnifier later. I get that its the same price as a budget LPVO but once i try it I can either sell the red dot to buy the LPVO or move the red dot to another gun. Either way, I can use the experience I gain from whatever I buy first to help decide what I want second.

the aimpoint seems like a great site. I just hadn't considered it until now because brand new it was way more expensive than the holosun. I'll start checking around for a used unit.

thanks again for all the great advice. keep it coming.
    Last edited by bronconut109; 08-08-20 at 11:10.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If it's helpful at all I posted a bunch of pics of my PA 1-6 ACSS Gen3 in a thread here. I'll find and post it in here.

This and the post below it.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=2755007
    Last edited by vandal5; 08-08-20 at 17:22.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The auto brightness and shake awake isn't worth the extra money. You are really over thinking this. If you want a holosun micro red dot just get the cheapest one for like $140. My gold one has the rheostat and the other two I own are the +/- buttons. I prefer the buttons; but I really wouldn't fuss either way. Just grab what ever is cheapest from a vendor with good CS and you will be fine.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The Bushnell AR Optics 1-6X24mm with Vortex mount was going for $280 recently from Palmetto State Armory. Made in Korea.

Bereli.com has the Sig ROMEO4DR for $200. Circle dot reticle, motion activated. Assembled in USA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12