Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Massive explosions in Beirut

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honu View Post
    SO FAKE its not even funny
    Could you, or someone who knows about these sort of things explain why the videos are fake, please? I honestly can't tell.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here's a video of a thermobaric explosion. Looks eerily similar, save for the reddish brown smoke. Though, I don't know if the similarities are due to moisture in the air, or what.

Last edited by georgeib; 08-07-20 at 11:01.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Could you, or someone who knows about these sort of things explain why the videos are fake, please? I honestly can't tell.
    My take on the matter, and I could be wrong/incomplete on this is that based on the video that I saw, the projectile is relatively slow moving compared to actual bomb/missile strikes I've watched, which in turn totally discounts the possibility of a kinetic kill vehicle. Further, in the the still frame the projectile looks extremely long, perspectives and judging size of objects in the air is always difficult but it looks to be roughly 30 feet or longer in length, now this could be the result of the speed of the object causing it to stretch in the shot, making it look longer than it really is, however I think its far too crisp and well defined for that to be the case.

Additionally, to further discount it being a kinetic kill vehicle, most that I know of that exist or are theoretical (rods of god) are going to be travelling at supersonic or hypersonic speeds (F=ma). There is no sonic boom in any video precluding the big boom of the explosion. The speed of which this thing in the video is travelling at is so slow that it wouldn't do anything really. Maybe someday I'll try and do the calculations of the energy delivered via the "rods of god" or the one ton ballistic shaped chunk of tool steel that Kelly Johnson envisioned being released from an A-12/SR-71 at Mach 3.5 from 80k feet, not today though, got to lay some prepreg on an aircraft antenna and cure it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thank you, that's very helpful.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Here's a video of a thermobaric explosion. Looks eerily similar, save for the reddish brown smoke. Though, I don't know if the similarities are due to moisture in the air, or what.

What ever was stored in the silos at the blast site could explain the coloration of the mushroom cloud.
    Repression Is Nine Tenths The Law

Feedback Score

Holy Shiite Batman! Run that puppy at 1/4 speed and watch it!

Thermobaric eh? Did we drop a MOAB or Daisy Cutter in Syria? Maybe the Rooskies or even Asad did it?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    All mushroom clouds look similar, it's just the heated air and smoke rising. The white domes you see are condensation of moisture out of the air due to the overpressure, and are also common.

The video you linked doesn't look like a thermobaric to me, but who knows. A thermobaric is an entire cloud exploding, vs. anything else is more of a point explosion radiating outward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFpIiRxQgDQ

Even if there was a munitions depot there, the ammonium nitrate was a ticking time bomb anyway. It's not hard to imagine that it was detonated by accident, maybe the welding or maybe an accident starting with fireworks storage. Sure it could have been set off by intent, but on that theory it seems more likely some operative, or maybe a small drone, would drop off a timed detonator, rather than someone shooting a missile at the area.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Even if there was a munitions depot there, the ammonium nitrate was a ticking time bomb anyway. It's not hard to imagine that it was detonated by accident, maybe the welding or maybe an accident starting with fireworks storage. Sure it could have been set off by intent, but on that theory it seems more likely some operative, or maybe a small drone, would drop off a timed detonator, rather than someone shooting a missile at the area.
    If it was up to me to destroy, I would walk in wearing a hard hat, jeans, and work gloves, with a tool box full of explosives and timers.
    Drop a half dozen baseball sized charges and start working my way toward the water to be picked up.

Feedback Score
    Lebanon is in such a mess even before the big boom, I can see someone from the phalangot Christian militia from the old day or AMAL the Druze militia, thinking I will show Hezbullah I will start a fire where they have tons of military explosives stored. They did a really good job and got a big boom.

IDF Chief of Staff said the Big boom reduced the threat to Israel from Hezbullah in a huge dramatic way.

Feedback Score

The Wilson cloud is due to humidity and pressure(and heat), not the explosive. Larger explosions have longer lasting clouds (nuclear explosions in the tropics have the longest-lasting).

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast