Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffer bumper material

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Buffer bumper material

From a most interesting but very long thread I do not wish to lengthen further with ancillary digression:

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Possibly, but probably not.

People don't know a good portion of the forward velocity comes from the buffer tip rebounding off the end of the RE.

The action spring can't really deliver much energy during the 1/4" of over travel, but the buffer tip returns some % of the rearward velocity nearly instantly.
    Assuming this rebound is undesirable, as I understand it to be, is there no material with greater hysteresis that is sufficiently rigid and durable? Polymer science has likely improved since the original material was specified.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm no engineer, but it strikes me that you're searching for a problem with the buffer system that doesn't seem to exist. I mean... in my years of running this platform, I've found the WAY bigger problem is incompetence from those who've set specs for gas ports.

"We" shot the AR for decades with over gassed ports that lead to all kinds of functionality issues and false hysteria on the system's reliability; and also all kinds of ridiculous aftermarket gizmos (pig tail gas tube, for example) to treat the symptoms of these over gassed nightmares.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but it seems that the buffer system in place is just fine.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It's not necessarily undesirable.

It just means the closing velocity during the normal cycle is higher than the closing velocity of the first round chambered when using the bolt catch or charging handle.

BTW, one of the other things that pesky little A5 biasing spring does is reduce the rebound energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    From a most interesting but very long thread I do not wish to lengthen further with ancillary digression:

Assuming this rebound is undesirable, as I understand it to be, is there no material with greater hysteresis that is sufficiently rigid and durable? Polymer science has likely improved since the original material was specified.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    markm, I cannot disagree. I find the exploration of the physical properties of the system interesting in itself. I read the entire exchange between lysander and StainlessSlide for example.

Clint, thank you.
    Last edited by Disciple; 08-04-20 at 13:23.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    We tested a lot of different designs and materials for the LARB tail cap for those reasons...
    FFL/SOT

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear pants.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Interesting product. The conical contact face makes sense to me. How does the thermal and chemical stability of your material compare to the original? What is its fatigue life? Have you measured energy return for the two bumper types?

Magnetic eddy current braking should be excellent here, if damping is desired, and searching for that I found the Omni Robusta LLC M.A.R.R.S. Buffer. It doesn't appear quite ready for market to me—I don't like the abrupt ledge between the body and the tail—however with development I think the concept could become the reference design.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Interesting product. The conical contact face makes sense to me. How does the thermal and chemical stability of your material compare to the original? What is its fatigue life? Have you measured energy return for the two bumper types?

Magnetic eddy current braking should be excellent here, if damping is desired, and searching for that I found the Omni Robusta LLC M.A.R.R.S. Buffer. It doesn't appear quite ready for market to me—I don't like the abrupt ledge between the body and the tail—however with development I think the concept could become the reference design.
    The material we use will last the life of the weapon, we have yet to wear one out and every been trying for the last 4 years. Unless you’re cleaning your weapon with aircraft paint stripper, we haven’t had any chemical issue whatsoever ever. We did energy absorption testing by way of bolt velocity/ rate of fire.
    FFL/SOT

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear pants.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 99HMC4 View Post
    We did energy absorption testing by way of bolt velocity/ rate of fire.
    Do you publish those values?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Do you publish those values?
    No, only thing we released was a percentage, which was around 20% reduction. You don’t let everyone see all your cards. ��
    FFL/SOT

Feedback Score

Rebound on the back end IS desirable. It allows for a greater velocity when closing than the spring can deliver without becoming difficult to open.

It's rebound off the barrel extension that is undesirable.

OH, and the original material was a polyether urethane with a hardness of 95 Shore A. It was chosen because of its good rebound properties. Remember the original buffer design was a stiff spring.
    Last edited by lysander; 09-01-20 at 16:17.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast