Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig 516 Piston Upper Bolt Carrier

Feedback Score

Sig 516 Piston Upper Bolt Carrier

I purchased a 14.5" Sig 516 piston upper half. I'd like to run it on my M16, but I'm not sure about the carrier. There's one on GunBroker exactly like it that the seller claims is full auto. I'm thinking it looks more like a semi auto, but it pretty different than a regular DI carrier anyway. Is it a full or semi auto carrier?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I purchased a 14.5" Sig 516 piston upper half. I'd like to run it on my M16, but I'm not sure about the carrier. There's one on GunBroker exactly like it that the seller claims is full auto. I'm thinking it looks more like a semi auto, but it pretty different than a regular DI carrier anyway. Is it a full or semi auto carrier?
    I own four 516s. The bolt carrier in your picture is Sig's version of a full auto bolt carrier. A couple of my uppers were purchased as military overruns, and they came with this style of BCG. For what it is worth, you can also run an LWRC piston version BCG in the 516 as well. But, the answer to your question is, Yes, this is a full auto bolt carrier from Sig.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kyjd75 View Post
    I own four 516s. The bolt carrier in your picture is Sig's version of a full auto bolt carrier. A couple of my uppers were purchased as military overruns, and they came with this style of BCG. For what it is worth, you can also run an LWRC piston version BCG in the 516 as well. But, the answer to your question is, Yes, this is a full auto bolt carrier from Sig.
    Is the area circled how you tell if it's a full auto bolt carrier?
    I bought 2 of those military contract overruns and they were the best deal going.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yes, that extra extension on the carrier is what makes it a full auto version. A little different from other full auto bolt carriers, but according to those who have full auto 516s (Sig forum) it does work. The semi auto version does not have that extra protrusion (a couple of my 516s have the semi style carrier as well).

Feedback Score
    Great. I really appreciate y'all letting me know. Since I primarily bought it to run it on my M16, I was going to be very disappointed if it was a semi. An NFA length 14.5" barrel with a semi bolt seems like a waste to me. Actually, I absolutely don't understand why Sig would even make a semi bolt carrier. It will be very interesting to compare the Sig piston upper to my T91 piston upper.

Feedback Score
    Interestingly, here's the sticker that came on the box. Notice it says "Semi".

Here's the 516 upper ready to roll on my M16A1 lower.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Interestingly, here's the sticker that came on the box. Notice it says "Semi".

Here's the 516 upper ready to roll on my M16A1 lower.
    Can't wait to hear a report on how well (or not) it performs. I think the "sticker" is just the normal civilian production sticker that Sig uses for its regular civilian version 516s. As I said earlier, I have two 516s with the FA BCG, and two with the SA BCG. Of course, all are actually SA only lowers. None of them have ever malfunctioned even once. In my experience the 516 is an extremely robust, reliable rifle.

Feedback Score
    I'll be happy to provide a report. I might even do a low (and I do mean low) budget video. Interestingly, I looked on Sig's website and the 516 is nowhere to be found. What's up with that?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'll be happy to provide a report. I might even do a low (and I do mean low) budget video. Interestingly, I looked on Sig's website and the 516 is nowhere to be found. What's up with that?
    From what I understand, Sig has restricted the 516 to military/LE purchases only for the time being. Not sure exactly why, as the 716 is still available to the civilian market. I did talk with a Sig rep a couple of months ago about this and he advised that even though it is no longer listed on the website, if a civilian wants to purchase one, he will still be able to do so.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the insight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast