Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do 500's / 590's really NEED an upgraded safety switch?

Feedback Score

Do 500's / 590's really NEED an upgraded safety switch?

I never use the safety on a shotgun much unless told to during a competition or similar because rules.

Can they "fail"? I know they are polymer but so what? Is there another problem?

Is this why some people replace them?

I'm setting up an HD gun and need reliability.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Data point of one:
    My father's split in half at the mounting screw. Round count was low. He replaced it with an aluminum one. This was probably 25 years ago, so maybe the polymer ones have improved.
    Last edited by Chubbs103; 08-05-20 at 00:11. Reason: grammer

Feedback Score
    As with Post_2, my brother-in-law's Mossberg 500 plastic safety broke (plastic switch body fracturing in two) while we were shooting it. This was ~32 years ago. He never shoots it anyway and had it replaced with another plastic one

My 20 year old 590A1 with a metal safety gets shot a lot more and its safety has been fine during its life.

I don't know how frequently the safeties break; I don't know if the switch-body will break even if the safety doesn't get pushed on & off or if it can fracture just sitting in the off position when shooting.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A metal safety selector switch is a good up grade for any 500 or 590 that has a plastic switch. If the plate breaks and you lose the detent ball there is a possiblty the safety will no longer be a team player and can randomly engage or disengage.

In terms of the safety block itself, I've never seen one of those break.

Newer Mossbergs have a tamper resistant screw that can be put on with a flat blade screw driver, but not taken off. Various ways to do this - I've used a small screwdriver to catch once side and drift the screw out.

Your safety button's instruction will probably tell you this - but make sure you have the action completely open when you remove the screw to ensure the safety block stays in place.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Do 500's / 590's really NEED an upgraded safety switch?
    500's just need the 590's aluminum switch.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    Thanks, guys!

My 590 should be gtg, then.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thanks, guys!

My 590 should be gtg, then.
    Some 590s left the factory with plastic safety buttons. There are pictures of both types here: https://www.havlinsales.com/model500.htm

The plastic ones all break, it's just a matter of time. IMHO, the metal safety button is a mandatory upgrade.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 08-10-20 at 07:14.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for that link!

My 590 has the plastic safety.

Should I replace it with factory alluminum or one of the aftermarket ones?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for that link!

My 590 has the plastic safety.

Should I replace it with factory alluminum or one of the aftermarket ones?
    The Brownell's looks to be a usefull upgrade, it has a stop to ensure you don't miss pushing it off:

https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-pa...kiTC9Whw3Hlxc0

Looks the same as the NDZ one, maybe it is:

https://www.ndzperformance.com/mossb...mos-es-blk.htm

As much as I like S&J Hardware, this one doesn't seem to bring anything additional to the table:

https://sjhardware.us/product/mossbe...ersize-safety/

And I don't think the oversized ones like the VangComp, offer as much as the ones above:

https://www.vangcomp.com/product/vcs...-speed-safety/

The only reason I'd deviate from the stock Mossberg metal switch is because I wanted the thumb/finger stop on the Brownells or NDZ switches. I may get one for my JMPro.

JMO
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I like the Brownell's safety, thank you for the link. It cannot be said enough, make sure the action is fully open before you remove the safety screw. The bolt will hold the parts in place while you swap the button.

I broke a Mossie safety button in my teens and made a steel replacement, now I just replace the plastic buttons ahead of time.

Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast