Thread: HK Benelli M1 questions

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

HK Benelli M1 questions

I have an old 14 inch police trade in that needs some use.
    For parts:
    To replace the magazine spring, which is 4+1, would I reach out to Benelli, or HK. Same question on other parts.
    The light that came with it is ancient. Are there any recent releases that fit the gun.
    Is there decent range/competition ammo that is around? I have not followed shotgun ammo prices or availability. Same for slugs.
    Lubrication: does the gun require any other than the bolt.
    TIA
    jon

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have an HK M1 S90 tactical 18". I get most all my parts from Midwest Gun Works.

Here's some mag springs. I would probably go with the standard and then cut it to suit your needs.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/bene...ne-spring.html

Don't know about the light.

I lightly lube the bolt, the receiver slots the bolt rides in, and the trigger group pivot points. I like to put a bit of light grease on the sear and disconnector engagement points.

Ammo is getting scarce. For just blasting birdshot you could try Walmart for their value packs. For buckshot or slugs, Walmart again or SGAmmo or TargetSportUSA.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'd be more worried about the recoil spring. It's probably never been inspected, replaced, or even oiled.

The model rather than the importer is what matters for spare parts.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Yes, that recoil spring could be getting mighty tired. The whole recoil system should be taken apart every now and then and given a good cleaning and light lubing. Here's an example of a recoil spring, but be careful of the S/N.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/60691

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If it has one of the original "Laser Products" (pre-Surefire name) with the rising sun type symbol molded in forfend lights, you can simply replace the light and bezel. I used a Malkoff LED and Surefire bezel from a 6P on mine. It brought the antiquated light up to modern, or as close as I can get, specs. Benelli changed something on the barrel or receiver somewhere down the line, and the older HK marked models won't fit the newer style Surefire foreends that fit the Benelli marked models. There is also a stainless steel buffer tube (not sure of the actual name) with spring that can be put on in place of the original one.

On a side note, I contacted Surefire when I got my M1, over 10 years ago, and asked them about the light, and they stated it was still covered by their warranty, even though the company changed names, and they would rebuild it if needed. Since it was working fine, I didn't bother. Now the pressure pad is pulling away in a spot or two. I'm tempted to see if they will still do the warranty work.

Mine was originally a 20" that I had cut down to 14", but I had the magazine tube trimmed to match the end of the barrel instead of stopping a little short. This gives me five in the tube, one in the breech, and one on the lifter, for a total of 7 when fully loaded, or 6 if kept cruiser safe. She is a handy little thing. I really need to take her out more.

Federal Tactical 00 Buck with the Flight Control Wad works great up close, and their slugs can easily ring a torso size gong at 100 yards consistently with mine.
    Last edited by john armond; 08-06-20 at 18:15.