Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock MOS, worth it? Advice?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Glock MOS, worth it? Advice?

I’m looking at a Gen 5 G19. Shop can get the normal G19 or the MOS version.

Use will be home and self defense. I’ve never had a handgun with a red dot, but a number of cops I know swear by them for their duty guns. The MOS versions are like $60-70 more, plus the cost of optics. However, I’d probably drop $130 on night sights (which I won’t need with the red dot).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here's my take on it, if you are on the fence but want to get a Gen 5 G19, and your shop can get either version, pick up the one that you're most comfortable owning right now and using for your purposes. You can always purchase a complete slide later with the alternate version (Big Tex Outdoors sells them).

If money is no object to you, and you're comfortable learning and adjusting to shooting with a red dot sight, then do what you think is most prudent. I will say that there is a bit of a learning curve going from irons to RDS, and, to a degree, back again. Also, invest in a quality RDS.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftie View Post
    Here's my take on it, if you are on the fence but want to get a Gen 5 G19, and your shop can get either version, pick up the one that you're most comfortable owning right now and using for your purposes. You can always purchase a complete slide later with the alternate version (Big Tex Outdoors sells them).

If money is no object to you, and you're comfortable learning and adjusting to shooting with a red dot sight, then do what you think is most prudent. I will say that there is a bit of a learning curve going from irons to RDS, and, to a degree, back again. Also, invest in a quality RDS.

Slides are expensive I would say get the MOS now and then you have the ability to add a dot later if you so chose and its a lot less than buying a slide.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    079B2BA6-8146-4CF7-BD2F-EDDBA3F1129E.jpeg

Well shoot... I was on the list for a G19 MOS at two diff LGS... turns out they both came in within a week of each other. I outfitted my first one with a Holosun 507c V2 optic and OLIGHT 600 lumen tac light. Then I got word the second shop had a gun for me... how could I pass it up? My cost for the MOS was like $480. No brainer. Now I have a second optic and light on order. I used the CHP mounting plate for my first Optic, and ordered a second as well. Two identical setups... ha.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well, I guess we know which direction the OP went!

Feedback Score
    You made a great choice going with an MOS version and don't think you'll regret it. I use both the CHPWS and FCD plates, both are great quality. RDS on HD pistols are the way to go.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The difference in cost between milling the slide and an MOS is about $100 for a much better mounting solution. And you should get an after market MOS plate anyway because the OEM plates suck. So the cost difference is about $50.

I highly recommend milling the slide if you’re going to go RDS (which if you’re at all considering it, and you are and should).
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Milled is optimal but the modularity is nice especially as optic technology changes. While the factory MOS plates leave some to be desired, the forward controls and CHPWS plates are fantastic and don’t give up much to a milled setup.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    Milled is optimal but the modularity is nice especially as optic technology changes. While the factory MOS plates leave some to be desired, the forward controls and CHPWS plates are fantastic and don’t give up much to a milled setup.
    This. The stock MOS plates are garbage, but CHPWS and FCD both make some great plates to replace the stock one with that will work very well for you if you go that route. If you get a dot, practice, practice, practice presentation and transitions. After we've been told to focus on the front sight, we move to dots, where we should be target focused, which is what our eyes prefer. However, we've adapted to be front sight focused, and it'll take reps to change that.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    This. I went with the CHPWS V4 for the Holosun HS507K. The cost was offset by getting a great deal on suppressor NS ($65). Of course I got my 19 MOS as a blue label, so the cost was already pretty low.

G19.jpg

For the OP, a big important question right now is, do you have enough ammo on hand to train into the pistol optic? Because if you don't, don't add one even if you get the MOS. I say that because obtaining enough ammo to train to the optic would be an expensive PITA during the current shortage unless you already have it. Or like me, keep enough components in stock to keep the Dillon churning!
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast