Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock MOS, worth it? Advice?

Feedback Score
    What is it about the oem plates that is such a problem? I’m waiting on my rmr to show up from fedex tomorrow

Feedback Score
    How much thread engagement do you get with FCD’s RMR plate? Can you get 3 turns on the screws?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Never measured turns, but I’m using the FCD plate. I followed the instructions verbatim to include torque and provided thread locker. Haven’t had an issue in multiple matches or range days 🤷*♂️
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 08-08-20 at 08:07.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    Never measured turns, but I’m using the FCD plate. I followed the instructions verbatim to include torque and provided thread locker. Haven’t had an issue in multiple matches or range days *

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    A red dot and 9mm is practically cheating. I would definitely recommend going that route. I would also go with the MOS for reasons already stated. You will also 100% need an aftermarket plate and CHPWS is the standard right now. Several LE agencies have T&E and adopted their plates.

Tons of good info on the Primary&Secondary podcast.
    https://youtu.be/Sm0hDsqGnyQ

On shooting a dot it's no different than shooting a dot on a carbine (threat focus). Also, presentation and draw can be worked on in dry fire practice. Most new dot shooters their dot is high and to the left (for righties)...pinky pressure can help drop the dot on target. You will however need live fire to learn to have the dot track straight up and down in recoil.

Also, transitioning to irons is seamless for me and shooting the dot has actually improved my irons on targets I can threat focus (soft sight picture) out to about 10 yards.

Enjoy the future!
    Colt Armorer Course, 2004
    Remington Factory LE Armorer School (870, 1187, and 700), 2008, 2013
    Remington 870 LE Armorer course, 2017
    Specialized Armament M16 / M4 / AR-15® Advanced Armorer Course, 2012, 2016
    Glock Armorer Course, 2012, 2016
    S&W M&P 15 Armorer Course, 2013, 2019

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlrflyer View Post
    How much thread engagement do you get with FCD’s RMR plate? Can you get 3 turns on the screws?
    Irrelevant, really.

Here is how Duffy (FCD Owner) describers it:

Glock's MOS (and ours by extension) has sufficient thread engagement, no more, and no less. That the sight isn't allowed to move in recoil means the screws only have one job to do, that is to keep the sight held down on the plate, and they're not subject to the beating it'd take if the sight was moving along the bore under recoil.
    Basically, the issue with screws and shearing is not that the threads go deep … it is whether or not the the RMR/Plate has any horizontal movement. If there is, at some point the screws will break as they are never meant to support that pressure.

The FCD RMR plate is very snug so the whole setup doesn't move.

The Private Citizen
    Liberty — Independence — Responsibility — Resolve

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I think it’s worth it if you want to get into an RDS equipped pistol. Just get better mounting plates and all should be good. It’s the route I will be taking as soon as I make the jump.

“IF” I like the RDS setup and don’t have any issues with it, I’ll commit to getting a slide milled for a dedicated RDS.

Quote Originally Posted by Trihonda View Post
    I’m looking at a Gen 5 G19. Shop can get the normal G19 or the MOS version.

Use will be home and self defense. I’ve never had a handgun with a red dot, but a number of cops I know swear by them for their duty guns. The MOS versions are like $60-70 more, plus the cost of optics. However, I’d probably drop $130 on night sights (which I won’t need with the red dot).

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trihonda View Post
    Wow, great advice. Still on the fence. My neighbor (SWAT type) says “skip it”, as the handgun is just used to fight until you get to your rifle... but a couple other cops buddies say “heck ya“. I wouldn’t mill anything, so it’s MOS or a Standard slide.
    Lets be objective here because only data matters...how many gunfight videos have you seen where anybody lives long enough to "fight to their rifle." 99.9999% of time, you're going to fight with what you're wearing, holding, or can reach. Do everything you can to make sure that whatever weapons fit that bill are as effective as you can make them.

This "fight to your rifle" bullshit is old hat bravado crap now that we're getting a lot of data on what "really happens." People need to stop perpetuating it.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Can I ask you fellas a question? I would think that an RDS would make shooting easier and that the transition would be quick. What about the RDS (as it sounds in this thread) requires extensive practice? Yeah, I get that practice makes perfect, yada yada. Is it a parallax issue? Is it an issue picking up the dot quickly?

Kind of like LPVO's on an AR, I haven't warmed up to the idea of a pistol RDS.
    The issue is almost universally "finding the dot", although it's not the problem so much as it's a symptom of poor pistol presentation. With a long gun with optics, you have multiple points of contact, generally a larger lens, and your head and eye much closer to the lens. On a pistol, you're trying to line up the head of a pin in a window smaller than a postage stamp while holding the gun as far from your face as you can. The margin of error is relatively narrow

Iron sights aren't like this because they're big and chunky and can be seen from any angle. Bad presentation mechanics are remedied by looking at the sights and moving the gun to make them line up. Getting this cleaned up with optics means starting by making a conscious effort to align the sight with your eye and to repeat thousands of times until it becomes an unconscious effort. Cowan pushes the "back plate (or hammer) to nose" mantra as a way to make this happen. That is, tell yourself to align the rear of the slide with your nose and the dot will be where you want it. Propioception and kinesthetic sense should mostly do this for you. Your brain knows where your hands are relative to the rest of you. This works regardless of shooting position.

The big hidden "plus" that I've found in being a more devoted RDS shooter is that my presentations with iron sight guns are much cleaner. The iron sights tend to be more acceptably aligned for my immediately upon presentation. So ingrained in the automatic correction of misaligned irons that I didn't realize it was happening until extensive RDS used effectively ended it.

Feedback Score
    My first comment as a new guy here, so...roast away.

I've found that best way to use any sight system is to draw and present the sights up to your eyes, not by trying to tilt, bend or otherwise move your head... etc. to acquire the sights.

Once I figured this out, a red dot on a handgun became much more practical and I was no longer "chasing the dot"

FWIW
    Last edited by JWill1776; 08-15-20 at 19:56.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast