Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock MOS, worth it? Advice?

Feedback Score

Glock MOS, worth it? Advice?

I’m looking at a Gen 5 G19. Shop can get the normal G19 or the MOS version.

Use will be home and self defense. I’ve never had a handgun with a red dot, but a number of cops I know swear by them for their duty guns. The MOS versions are like $60-70 more, plus the cost of optics. However, I’d probably drop $130 on night sights (which I won’t need with the red dot).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here's my take on it, if you are on the fence but want to get a Gen 5 G19, and your shop can get either version, pick up the one that you're most comfortable owning right now and using for your purposes. You can always purchase a complete slide later with the alternate version (Big Tex Outdoors sells them).

If money is no object to you, and you're comfortable learning and adjusting to shooting with a red dot sight, then do what you think is most prudent. I will say that there is a bit of a learning curve going from irons to RDS, and, to a degree, back again. Also, invest in a quality RDS.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The difference in cost between milling the slide and an MOS is about $100 for a much better mounting solution. And you should get an after market MOS plate anyway because the OEM plates suck. So the cost difference is about $50.

I highly recommend milling the slide if you’re going to go RDS (which if you’re at all considering it, and you are and should).
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Milled is optimal but the modularity is nice especially as optic technology changes. While the factory MOS plates leave some to be desired, the forward controls and CHPWS plates are fantastic and don’t give up much to a milled setup.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have two, one sighted for my carry load (Gold Dot 124+P) and one for ball/training ammo.

There is no doubt red dots are the future. MOS gives you the greatest degree of flexibility should the hot new optic change - which it will in the future as more providers enter the market.

I know the MOS has limitations but the one it doesn’t have is dedicating your pistol via a milling operation to an optic that may be obsolete shortly.

IMO.
    Last edited by Business_Casual; 08-05-20 at 19:19.

Feedback Score
    Wow, great advice. Still on the fence. My neighbor (SWAT type) says “skip it”, as the handgun is just used to fight until you get to your rifle... but a couple other cops buddies say “heck ya“. I wouldn’t mill anything, so it’s MOS or a Standard slide.

Feedback Score
    RDSes are the future.
    Somewhere around 100% of us will have vision degradation as we age.
    I have had two milled Glock slides - An aftermarket and a custom milled OEM slide.
    All sorts of criticism of the Glock MOS solution, but it would be my most likely option if I was buying today.
    Aside from the sighting improvements brought by the RDS, I also have grown to like quality suppressor sights.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Glock Mos plates are terrible. Wait for gen 2 or get your side milled for the dot of your choice. Sage dynamics on youtube is a wealth of information. Red dots are the future. I'm going to put one on my next pistol. I'm just undecided on what that is. I might put one on my archon type b. I am in love with that gun.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Forward Controls Design has a mounting plate that makes the MOS very viable.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Milled is the best, from a good company. I will be trying out the FCD plate if my mos fails Again.
    If you practice routinely, the dot is a no-brainer. Just dont go cheap.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast