Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock MOS, worth it? Advice?

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JWill1776 View Post
    My first comment as a new guy here, so...roast away.

I've found that best way to use any sight system is to draw and present the sights up to your eyes, not by trying to tilt, bend or otherwise move your head... etc. to acquire the sights.

Once I figured this out, a red dot on a handgun became much more practical and I was no longer "chasing the dot"

FWIW
    Great first post.

Think Full Metal Jacket: "move the rifle around your head, not your head around the rifle"

Feedback Score
    Bingo

Feedback Score
    Red dots on handguns are the next "big thing" in police duty gear. It's just going to be a thing. Shooting with red dots makes you a better iron sight shooter because it forces your presentation to target to be precise. If it's not, the dot isn't there. There's a small learning curve, but once you get over that, you'll wonder how you ever shot without the dot.

MOS vs. Milled: I prefer milled. I have Holosun 507s on both of my dot guns. One is a S&W M&P 2.0, the other is a P320 X5 Legion. The S&W is milled, the Sig uses an adapter plate from Springer Precision. I don't have any concerns with the adapter's durability, but the optic sits noticeably higher on the Sig. I do not have a rear iron sight for the Sig, either (don't anticipate needing it). Most agencies I'm aware of that allow optic equipped handguns require a factory optic interface (Glock MOS, S&W CORE, etc) probably out of some concern for liability. I think it's a little overbearing. I had L&M Precision do my M&P and it's great work. I would not hesitate to use any large-scale machining operation like ATEI, Jaegerwerks, Maple Leaf Firearms, etc. I would also consider buying a Brownells pre-cut RMR slide (under $200) and a firing pin channel liner for it so you can have both the red dot slide, and a factory slide.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    UPDATE

Just snagged my G19 MOS, though it took a while for it to come into my LGS. I’ve snagged an OLIGHT weapon light (600 lumens with magnetic battery charger).

I have the Holosun 507c and C&H v4 plate on order. I was planning for this to be a HD gun, but the more I toy with the idea, I’m considering tackling the hefty task of switching to using the optic on duty... as much as you might think this is an easy choice, it’s actually not... a couple things are factors..

1- I shoot pretty darn good with irons (routinely top shot out of a cadre of around 80 people).. so there’s the “if it ain’t broke” mantra...
    2- Theres a lengthy approval process (but there’s two coworkers who have gone through it to guide me)
    3- I simultaneously lose use of the best holster ever created (TDL) and I will need to supply my own new optic/light ready rig (around $200).
    4- I’m retiring within the next few years... so one idea is to try the RDSs on my Hd gun for a bit, then see...

But I admit there are many benefits, especially as my eyes go from Uncorrected 20/10 vision to now needing readers... I’ve noticed that my range time does benefit from my using readers to see my front sight,,, I know the RDSs will greatly improve my ability to navigate my sight picture,,,

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftie View Post
    Here's my take on it, if you are on the fence but want to get a Gen 5 G19, and your shop can get either version, pick up the one that you're most comfortable owning right now and using for your purposes. You can always purchase a complete slide later with the alternate version (Big Tex Outdoors sells them).

If money is no object to you, and you're comfortable learning and adjusting to shooting with a red dot sight, then do what you think is most prudent. I will say that there is a bit of a learning curve going from irons to RDS, and, to a degree, back again. Also, invest in a quality RDS.

Slides are expensive I would say get the MOS now and then you have the ability to add a dot later if you so chose and its a lot less than buying a slide.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    079B2BA6-8146-4CF7-BD2F-EDDBA3F1129E.jpeg

Well shoot... I was on the list for a G19 MOS at two diff LGS... turns out they both came in within a week of each other. I outfitted my first one with a Holosun 507c V2 optic and OLIGHT 600 lumen tac light. Then I got word the second shop had a gun for me... how could I pass it up? My cost for the MOS was like $480. No brainer. Now I have a second optic and light on order. I used the CHP mounting plate for my first Optic, and ordered a second as well. Two identical setups... ha.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well, I guess we know which direction the OP went!

Feedback Score
    You made a great choice going with an MOS version and don't think you'll regret it. I use both the CHPWS and FCD plates, both are great quality. RDS on HD pistols are the way to go.

Feedback Score
    I like the MOS for the fact you are not stuck to one optic, that said my carry gun has a ZEV slide and RMR type 2. I like the lower mounting and that the Zev backup irons sit in the lower 1/3 of the window. I will also say for the MOS the CHPWS plate is WAY better than the OEM.
    Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. Ben Franklin

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast