Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sig 550 vs HK 416 Assault Rifles

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    Are you asking for use as a primary use rifle for serious work? Or are you just speaking about a fun blaster at the range?
    Primary use rifle for serious work.
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Secretariat, do you literally mean the 550 or are you speaking of the 55X series of rifle of rifles in general?
    %%X in general.
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Secretariat, do you literally mean the 550 or are you speaking of the 55X series of rifle of rifles in general?
    %%X in general.
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    As a primary rifle I would give the nod to a 416 assuming it is an actual 416. They are a bit more ergonomic and they provide and better platform for mounting accessories and optics which is incredibly important in this day and age for a front line rifle. The Flat top 55X series gun are good for optics but they still are limited in handguard options compared to the HK which will limit stuff like light placement and they add more weight than needed. I also believe that the HK rifles are more accurate than the SIG/SAN Guns. Some suppressor mounts may prevent you from removing the gas tube for cleaning on the 55X Guns. Not a terribly big deal but a little annoying. However, as already pointed out, both are incredibly expensive to bang around. Spare parts for both are difficult to get. Are you in the US or in Europe as that can change this argument a bit.

It is also important to note that when I speak about the 55x series I am exclusively speaking about Swiss made guns and the American made 556 and 551A1 are not included. The American guns lack the quality of the Swiss guns. And the quality of the Swiss guns is truly the thing that makes the Swiss guns unique. You take that attribute away and you are left with a boring sub par rifle.

I would otherwise recommend a high quality ar15. Plenty of resources on the forum to help you along that path if you so choose without bringing it into this thread.
    Last edited by call_me_ski; 08-11-20 at 08:58.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A primary rifle for serious work needs ample spare parts, including bolt groups, barrels, recoil springs, etc. These are far easier and less costly to source for a 55x than a 416.

Ergos and accessories go to the 416.

But, you have to ask yourself what the 416 or any piston brings to the table over a traditional AR. IMO, in civilian and civilian LE hands it offers little in the way of benefits, while adding significant cost, significant weight, among others.

The Swiss 550/551/553 is an awesome family of firearms. It’s a modernized AK with Rolex level attention to details in production. But it’s heavy, less easily accessorized, and costly. Add on you’re optic, railed fore end, light, vertical grip, etc and its a pig. Mags are rock-in lock. Mags are expensive. Mags are on the fragile side if dropped when loaded. You could get the NATO lower and use M16 mags to obviate the mag detractions. And good luck finding the necessary armorers tools to maintain your rifle(s).

Bottom line, why are you looking to ride a zebra when a horse is better suited?
    Last edited by JoshNC; 08-11-20 at 19:17.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Try and get some drill time with a rifle that's in the same weight class that has a similar front-heavy weight distribution before you commit and plonk down all that cash. Rifles that weigh 8-9 pounds empty and have a muzzle heavy weight bias (as those two do) only get worse when fitted with optic, light/laser, and/or suppressor. If you're going to be carrying the thing around at high or low ready a lot, say for doing drills, they are way more trouble than something lighter with a more balanced weight distribution. It's like running around in gear in 100% humidity at 100*F: With a lot of time and effort invested you get used to it, but it never gets comfortable. Why not save the time and effort, get the same amount of work done, and be more comfortable?
    Last edited by Aries144; 08-13-20 at 21:19.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    A primary rifle for serious work needs ample spare parts, including bolt groups, barrels, recoil springs, etc. These are far easier and less costly to source for a 55x than a 416.

Ergos and accessories go to the 416.

But, you have to ask yourself what the 416 or any piston brings to the table over a traditional AR. IMO, in civilian and civilian LE hands it offers little in the way of benefits, while adding significant cost, significant weight, among others.

The Swiss 550/551/553 is an awesome family of firearms. It’s a modernized AK with Rolex level attention to details in production. But it’s heavy, less easily accessorized, and costly. Add on you’re optic, railed fore end, light, vertical grip, etc and its a pig. Mags are rock-in lock. Mags are expensive. Mags are on the fragile side if dropped when loaded. You could get the NATO lower and use M16 mags to obviate the mag detractions. And good luck finding the necessary armorers tools to maintain your rifle(s).

Bottom line, why are you looking to ride a zebra when a horse is better suited?
    What if I don't plan on accessorising the rifle that much or just leave the rifle as is with no accessories at all, which would you choose between the 2?
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
    What if I don't plan on accessorising the rifle that much or just leave the rifle as is with no accessories at all, which would you choose between the 2?
    Thanks.
    Re: the 416, are you intending to purchase a mr556, part together a bastardized Brownells build, or buy a true 416 upper to use on a lower of your choosing?

If your answer is anything other than buying a true 416 upper, the answer is easy. Swiss 55x, no contest.

I personally would choose a 551-2 SBR or 553-2 long barrel SBR over the 416, but I’m a SwissArms fanatic. Spare barrels, bolt groups, and other parts are readily available from Gatewood Supply and a few other sources. One could still stock up on spare parts without feeling like they have more $ in parts than in one’s car.

But it doesn’t really matter what I would do. It matters what you want more. Internet “research” is a poor substitute for hands on experience. Buy both, shoot both, sell whatever doesn’t float your boat. Or, find some local shooters who own one or both, shoot them and make your decision.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 08-14-20 at 10:59.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don’t have experience with either.

But hypothetically if I had to pick one for serious use right now in 2020 - the 416. Modern design, easy to accessorize etc.

If I wanted just a cool exotic gun for my collection, then I might go for the Swiss Sig 55x series (Not the Sig US 556 series)

But the Swiss rifle I really want is that beautiful dieselpunk monstrosity, the Sig 510/Stgw. 57

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    This is pretty much where I stand with a recommendation. Unless you are getting a full HK 416 and can source spare parts, the Sig makes more sense if you don’t want to accessorize with lights/lasers/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Re: the 416, are you intending to purchase a mr556, part together a bastardized Brownells build, or buy a true 416 upper to use on a lower of your choosing?

If your answer is anything other than buying a true 416 upper, the answer is easy. Swiss 55x, no contest.

I personally would choose a 551-2 SBR or 553-2 long barrel SBR over the 416, but I’m a SwissArms fanatic. Spare barrels, bolt groups, and other parts are readily available from Gatewood Supply and a few other sources. One could still stock up on spare parts without feeling like they have more $ in parts than in one’s car.

But it doesn’t really matter what I would do. It matters what you want more. Internet “research” is a poor substitute for hands on experience. Buy both, shoot both, sell whatever doesn’t float your boat. Or, find some local shooters who own one or both, shoot them and make your decision.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast