Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marking cam pins?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Marking cam pins?

This is an interesting idea: https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.co...Pin_p_206.html However I don't see why I can't mark a cam pin myself. Would it be OK to make a small notch in the region of the dimple using an abrasive stone or file?

scp.jpeg

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    This is an interesting idea: https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.co...Pin_p_206.html However I don't see why I can't mark a cam pin myself. Would it be OK to make a small notch in the region of the dimple using an abrasive stone or file?
    Shouldn’t hurt anything......seems like a great idea

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

scp.jpeg
    It’s fine. Or use the same punch you use to stake your castle nuts.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    It's not a bad idea, I think I'll center punch my cam pins.

Last edited by titsonritz; 08-06-20 at 21:24.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Ive had cam pins that have crazy groves in them when I cleaned them last. It was strange and didn't look normal.

Edit: Damn that video explained exactly what I was referring. But I dont understand why flipping them around makes any difference. I hear the guy but dont understand why it matters. Educate me Titsonritz.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 08-06-20 at 21:50.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    It's not a bad idea, I think I'll center punch my cam pins.
    From the video you just posted: "you can't just grab a punch and start banging on this" which is why I plan to use an abrasive file.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    From the video you just posted: "you can't just grab a punch and start banging on this" which is why I plan to use an abrasive file.
    Without f'ing up your punch, I have a few sacrificial center punches that will get the job done.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 08-06-20 at 23:09.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Ive had cam pins that have crazy groves in them when I cleaned them last. It was strange and didn't look normal.

Edit: Damn that video explained exactly what I was referring. But I dont understand why flipping them around makes any difference. I hear the guy but dont understand why it matters. Educate me Titsonritz.

PB
    Because the wear becomes consistent, essentially forms a custom fit. Flipping it around will make different wear on both sides. Picture this, if you never once removed your cam pin it will have a little on one side and lot on the opposite side, if you flip it around it will wear a lot on both sides. This wear will over time will oblong the cam pin hole in the bolt. The two most common places a bolt will fail are the lugs on either side of the extractor and the cam pin hole. I'm sure it is a minor issue and will only come into play with high volume users, but I'll take what I can get for nothing but a consistent practice. At least that is what I'm getting out it and hope my dribble makes sense as I'm a few drinks deep.

I think FCD's site description is perfectly accurate when it calls this as a "why didn't I think of it" moment.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Because the wear becomes consistent, essentially forms a custom fit. Flipping it around will make different wear on both sides. Picture this, if you never once removed your cam pin it will have a little on one side and lot on the opposite side, if you flip it around it will wear a lot on both sides. This wear will over time will oblong the cam pin hole in the bolt. The two most common places a bolt will fail are the lugs on either side of the extractor and the cam pin hole. I'm sure it is a minor issue and will only come into play with high volume users, but I'll take what I can get for nothing but a consistent practice. At least that is what I'm getting out it and hope my dribble makes sense as I'm a few drinks deep.

I think FCD's site description is perfectly accurate when it calls this as a "why didn't I think of it" moment.
    While I respect Roger and Chads perspective on marking a cam pin. My 2cents after seeing functional cam pins on several suppressed short machine guns with 20k plus rds over the years is just inspect it then spend the 8 bucks when it wears out.
    "your AR is shit, change my mind" - Will Larson

I make work horses, not show ponies.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been marking mine with a sharpie. I have yet to see if the mark fades after furring. But if it does, then just wipe of the carbon, oil, grease or whatever and mark it again before dissembly.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast