Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Marking cam pins?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Chad's experience as a practicing gunsmith is a big part. He's a straight shooter, he has no hidden agendas and self benefiting motives. SCP was my idea to make this better known. For what we charge, this almost qualifies as a free public service. Chad agreed to let us use his name (SOTAR), we didn't file a design patent (however useless it is), not sure if we can file a utility patent since prior arts exist. You read this correctly, it's been done before and since. Centurion Arms and G both have positional markings on their cam pins. You can mark the pins yourself, can be something as simple as a tiny notch or dimple, as long as you know which way should always face the front, or rear. A good idea like this should be freely share and it is so, as you guys share your experience and ideas on M4C.

So if larger companies do it, would it seem more legitimate? Larger companies aren't necessarily on the forefront of putting new ideas, or good ideas into designs. We're a tiny shop, I remember when folks used to say things like solutions in search of a problem simply because the solutions weren't made for them and don't apply to them. To an able bodied person, a wheelchair is a solution in search of a problem. "It never happens to me", or "100rds, no problems" are typically dismissed as insufficient as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    I think Chad's knowledge and experience along with Roger Wang's reputation are deserving of respect instead of just being dismissed and ranting about shooting dirt clods in the desert for 30 years.

I too kinda scoffed at the idea until listening to the explanation by Chad and Roger and why it could be beneficial. Neither of them have said it's mandatory, and Roger even said if you want to mark your own instead of buying his that's okay too. I've been at this for more than 20 years and the more time passes the more I realize how much I don't know.
    Last edited by Duffy; 08-09-20 at 11:49.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    No issues with NP3 cam pins in phosphated BCGs We'll have a bunch of nitrided SCPs in 3 weeks.
    Robar's retail facing operation closed, but not the industry side of it.
    Thank you!

Feedback Score
    I never knew, or even thought about this. Why the hell would they have not taught me that, all those years ago, in the Marines? Seems to make sense.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    He's a straight shooter, he has no hidden agendas and self benefiting motives. SCP was my idea to make this better known.
    so is it SOTAR in name only?

Feedback Score
    Chad's experience as a practicing gunsmith is a big part. He's a straight shooter, he has no hidden agendas and self benefiting motives. SCP was my idea to make this better known. For what we charge, this almost qualifies as a free public service. Chad agreed to let us use his name (SOTAR), we didn't file a design patent (however useless it is), not sure if we can file a utility patent since prior arts exist. You read this correctly, it's been done before and since. Centurion Arms and G both have positional markings on their cam pins. You can mark the pins yourself, can be something as simple as a tiny notch or dimple, as long as you know which way should always face the front, or rear. A good idea like this should be freely share and it is so, as you guys share your experience and ideas on M4C.

So if larger companies do it, would it seem more legitimate? Larger companies aren't necessarily on the forefront of putting new ideas, or good ideas into designs. We're a tiny shop, I remember when folks used to say things like solutions in search of a problem simply because the solutions weren't made for them and don't apply to them. To an able bodied person, a wheelchair is a solution in search of a problem. "It never happens to me", or "100rds, no problems" are typically dismissed as insufficient as well.
    Thanks my friend.

Centurions people took my class. Their feed ramp work changed and they started marking cam pins afterward.

People trash me for marking cam pins and feed ramp work.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think what Chad talked about makes sense, and wanted a version of it. While Chad marks his differently, we use the minimalist approach and just gave it a dot/dimple. We give credit where credit is due, we learned it from Chad so SCP's namesake pays homage to SOTAR and Chad, it's also a way for us to acknowledge Chad and SOTAR's contribution. I obtained permission from Chad to use the name SOTAR in SCP's naming, Chad didn't want financial compensation, nor does he carry and sell them to his students.

Chad was also the one that notified us when some of our CNFs (castle nuts) were inconsistent in their threads, we subsequently changed production so all CNFs now are made by Swiss machines, tested and gauged in ways no other castle nuts are. If you guys wonder what we meant by we benefited from Chad's knowledge and experience, these are but two of the instances where he is directly responsible in us making changes to improve our products.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    so is it SOTAR in name only?
    Last edited by Duffy; 08-09-20 at 18:17.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    After reading this thread, I've come to the conclusion that if one chooses to do so, so be it, it's their peace of mind. Now in the same vein, if people start marking their firing pin retaining pins so that the pin is vertically orientated the same way each time, then there's going to be some epic rebuttals! I base this on my observation of the excessive use of "witness marks". I'm sure we've all seen how that can get carried away.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Seems reasonable and inline with keeping a bolt matched with a barrel instead of sharing it between uppers causing new/different wear on the bolt and extension lugs with each swap.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Paint pens.....not just for marking screws.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss Hogg View Post
    Paint pens.....not just for marking screws.
    Someone try again to talk me into a tiny hole drilled in the top of the cam pin for $19.00 vs. a marking pen and a $4.50 cam pin? I don't want to hear about someone's reputation. I want something factual.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast