Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Marking cam pins?

Feedback Score
    There is always a lot of controversy about the videos and content from my courses. It's not intentional, nor am I offended if people politely disagree.

Marking the cam pin has less to do with saving the life of the cam pin and more to do with extending the life of the bolt.

The more you do to minimize wear and slop between the bolt and cam pin, the longer the bolt should last.

When you allow excessive amounts of slop between the cam pin and the bolt, you increase the chance of stretching or breaking the thin webbing at the edges of the cam pin bore.

I have done extensive testing using custom ground gage pins to track when wear becomes a concern. Some people have a philosophy where they shoot until something breaks or fails. I like to know before something breaks or fails so I can avoid a catastrophic malfunction.

FWIW, I mark my cam pins with a starter drill bit.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    But I dont understand why flipping them around makes any difference.
    It doesn't. PURE NONSENSE!!!

20 plus years on this gun, and this has to be the top 5 dumbest f@cking bullshit I've ever seen.
    Last edited by markm; 08-07-20 at 08:41.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Keeping an open mind, and I always appreciate a quality technical discussion.

I would be interested in observations and data comparing this directional cam pin practice in GTG vs good-as bolts.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    I have done extensive testing using custom ground gage pins to track when wear becomes a concern. Some people have a philosophy where they shoot until something breaks or fails. I like to know before something breaks or fails so I can avoid a catastrophic malfunction.

FWIW, I mark my cam pins with a starter drill bit.
    Thank you.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-0- View Post
    While I respect Roger and Chads perspective on marking a cam pin. My 2cents after seeing functional cam pins on several suppressed short machine guns with 20k plus rds over the years is just inspect it then spend the 8 bucks when it wears out.
    The nitride FCD pins are/will be priced at less than $10, which isn't too Gucci to give them a shot. If they were available to order.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    NP3 SCP (SOTAR Cam Pin) is subject to Robar delays, which can run months at a time. Nitrided SCPs will be shipping again in 3 weeks.

As Chad pointed out, it isn't about preserving the cam pin but more about reducing the subsequent wear introduced to the bolt. If you can do something (don't need to buy ours) by simply marking it and reinstalling it in the same orientation each time for free, I don't see why some are up in arms about it. End users aren't spending $10 to preserve a $8 part, but the bolt. Or don't, and replace the bolt and cam pin as needed.

We respect Chad a great deal, and know he doesn't do something because it's trendy, there is his considerable professional experience and knowledge behind it. This runs parallel with our design philosophy of "nothing without a purpose or reason", we don't make decorations.
    Last edited by Duffy; 08-07-20 at 11:00.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    NP3 SCP (SOTAR Cam Pin) is subject to Robar delays, which can run months at a time. Nitrided SCPs will be shipping again in 3 weeks.

As Chad pointed out, it isn't about preserving the cam pin but more about reducing the subsequent wear introduced to the bolt. If you can do something (don't need to buy ours) by simply marking it and reinstalling it in the same orientation each time for free, I don't see why some are up in arms about it. End users aren't spending $10 to preserve a $8 part, but the bolt. Or don't, and replace the bolt and cam pin as needed.

We respect Chad a great deal, and know he doesn't do something because it's trendy, there is his considerable professional experience and knowledge behind it. This runs parallel with our design philosophy of "nothing without a purpose or reason", we don't make decorations.
    Amen guys

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have a technical question: how effective is the NP3 coating if it more or less wears away as the pin is grooved? Would the harder nitrided finish be superior in this case?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    The nitride FCD pins are/will be priced at less than $10, which isn't too Gucci to give them a shot. If they were available to order.

Andy
    Well, for the same price you can get three cam pins from Del-ton or two from BCM. In fact you can get a whole bolt for $45.00 from Del ton which would be about the cost of two of these marked cam pins plus shipping. If making with a sharpie actually works, what is the issue in doing that?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    NP3 SCP will always be hard to find because we piggyback with SIONICS schedule to send stuff to Robar for coating. At the time it was expedient, and we didn't expect to sell many SCPs.

NP3 SCPs for your NP3 coated BCGs, nitride for your phosphated or nitrided BCGs. You can do it yourself, just remember to refinish it so the spot you carved on the cam pin won't rust.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast