Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Marking cam pins?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Someone try again to talk me into a tiny hole drilled in the top of the cam pin for $19.00 vs. a marking pen and a $4.50 cam pin? I don't want to hear about someone's reputation. I want something factual.
    No one is trying to do that.
    Pretty sure they said mark it yourself if you want. I did.
    But I did this with a chrome BCG I had.
    Here’s how I understand it:
    Factual: keeping the cam pin pointed the same direction will produce consistent wear.
    Proposition: this more consistent wear may prolong strength and therefore lifespan of bolt.
    Reality: no one has done an extended study to prove this.
    Opinion: If it doesn’t cost anything, why not? If it costs a few extra dollars for an NP3 cam pin when I need one, why not consider it?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Robar charges us $7 to NP3 each cam pin, add shipping both ways, I wasn't kidding when I said this almost qualifies as a loss leader in case anyone thinks we're making off like bandits.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Robar charges us $7 to NP3 each cam pin, add shipping both ways, I wasn't kidding when I said this almost qualifies as a loss leader in case anyone thinks we're making off like bandits.
    Yeah, people act like you have a monopoly and are forcing them to buy your products. I don't have to buy a Porsche to appreciate them.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    No one is trying to do that.
    Pretty sure they said mark it yourself if you want. I did.
    But I did this with a chrome BCG I had.
    Here’s how I understand it:
    Factual: keeping the cam pin pointed the same direction will produce consistent wear.
    Proposition: this more consistent wear may prolong strength and therefore lifespan of bolt.
    Reality: no one has done an extended study to prove this.
    Opinion: If it doesn’t cost anything, why not? If it costs a few extra dollars for an NP3 cam pin when I need one, why not consider it?
    Then let me say this another way. Let's assume the theory of mounting the pin in the same direction each time decreases wear is correct.

1. There is a $19.00 cam pin with a little hole in the top to mark direction.
    2. There is a mil spec cam pin for say $6.50 with a marking pen's mark made on one side to mark direction.

Which one is provably better?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You are arguing with yourself, and still off point. You are comparing an NP3 cam pin to a milspec cam pin. Sionics NP3 cam pin is $15, and the FCD SCP is $17, so that’s $2 upcharge for the orientation marking.

Just buy the milspec cam pins and mark them with a paint pen.

I swear man, the lack of reading comprehension and self importance on the Internet never ceases to amaze me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This part isn't technical in nature.

We buy cam pins and ship them to one of the shops we work with to dimple and refinish them, shipping charges and shop charges add up, hence there isn't much of a price difference between the two now.

We now have the pins made for us with a dimple drilled already. This will bring the nitrided version price down quite a bit. NP3 version of anything is expensive, we don't argue anyone needs NP3 coated BCGs or cam pins, but the option is there.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    Roger,

I think you have been very reasonable in explaining everything.

Some people just can't be reasoned with my friend.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    For what it's worth Chad and Roger, this is also the same guy that thinks Ultradyne sights are faster than a red dot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Roger and Chad- Thank you both very much for your quality contributions to this technical subforum. You are appreciated.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Damn, this thread is a wreck.

I'd also like to thank Duffy and clandestine though.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast