Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Marking cam pins?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I don’t understand why some people are so butthurt and emotionally charged about this. The idea makes sense, consistent wear on bearing surfaces. You can mark it yourself or get an FCD pin, either will accomplish the same thing.

Chad and Roger have gave clear explanations and Ned put the cherry on top by explaining the squeezing of that next little drop of reliability/performance.

If you don’t like the idea, move on. Dang people. Threads like this are why we continue to lose SMEs from this forum. We should be grateful to have the Chads, Rogers and Neds here sharing experience and knowledge.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post

If you don’t like the idea, move on. Dang people. Threads like this are why we continue to lose SMEs from this forum. We should be grateful to have the Chads, Rogers and Neds here sharing experience and knowledge.
    Sad but true. And we have lost a bunch over the years. Back when I joined, the common sense nature and not putting up with misinformation was what I enjoyed, along with the SME's. Now it's a crapshoot what you get when you login.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    For what it's worth Chad and Roger, this is also the same guy that thinks Ultradyne sights are faster than a red dot.
    Hey Vegas, where are your comments for this? Did you send him a link? Did you tell him he was in the wrong thread? I did not bring up Ultradynes, he did. So either send him a link or just maybe some of you technical experts can answer my questions. I am still waiting. Why is a dimple on a cam pin any better than a mark with a sharpie? Is his the $12-$14.00 you pay for the dimple? Get me a fact.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Hey Vegas, where are your comments for this? Did you send him a link? Did you tell him he was in the wrong thread? I did not bring up Ultradynes, he did. So either send him a link or just maybe some of you technical experts can answer my questions. I am still waiting. Why is a dimple on a cam pin any better than a mark with a sharpie? Is his the $12-$14.00 you pay for the dimple? Get me a fact.
    I didn't bring them up as a topic of discussion, I brought it up to give them a frame of reference as to why they shouldn't be concerned with your opinion or remarks. No one cares if you mark your cam pins or not, and no one has said you had to. Go back and read Ned's post, or don't, and continue on ignoring the facts that have been laid out in front of you by them.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    See below or above on the wrong thread stuff, I think 5.56 covered it perfectly.

I'm not a technical expert or here to disprove anything one way or the other. In fact I said above "It never hurts to have a solid reference point for wear on a part". That is my belief and opinion that comes with no warranty or refunds. Take what the SME said and decide for yourself whether it applies to you or not. Me, I would try the part and run it side by side and decide for myself. $12-$14 isn't going to change my world and if it does for you, you have bigger problems than cam pin wear.

I guess bottom line, don't like, don't buy but appreciate that there are industry heads willing to share their opinion and experience here and that maybe, just maybe it might mean something. I certainly appreciate their insight and don't begrudge their need to make a living.

Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    I didn't bring them up as a topic of discussion, I brought it up to give them a frame of reference as to why they shouldn't be concerned with your opinion or remarks. No one cares if you mark your cam pins or not, and no one has said you had to. Go back and read Ned's post, or don't, and continue on ignoring the facts that have been laid out in front of you by them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why is a dimple on a cam pin any better than a mark with a sharpie? Is his the $12-$14.00 you pay for the dimple? Get me a fact.
    Come on, man. Stop being obtuse. The dimple is better than the sharpie mark because it is permanent and doesn't require that you have a sharpie on your bench or in your bag, It also eliminates the possibility that you will accidentally mark it wrong - which could happen if you dropped the part or mishandled it.

Both Chad and Duffy pointed out ways that you could mark them yourself.

As to is it worth it? Well, I couldn't find a stand alone NP3 cam pin, but a WMD NiB cam pin costs $10.00, a stock cam pin runs around $5.00, and I found a teflon coated for $12.99. Duffy did advise that Robar charges nearly $10.00 to NP3 the cam pin, that would be on top of the cost of the pin and machining the dimple. So $17.00 isn't an outlandish price.

Is it worth it? I don't know, there are a lot of manufacturers who sell 'premium' parts for these rifles, and many folks seem to think those parts are worth it.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 08-17-20 at 00:04.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The reality is that if you're worried about spending $17 on this part, you're not the one this part is made for. If you can't afford paying an extra $12 for a premium part; you can't afford to shoot your rifle enough for that part to matter. Move on.

Feedback Score
    Is his the $12-$14.00 you pay for the dimple? Get me a fact.
    Why do you keep saying this? You must know it’s not true if you’ve been reading the thread. Most of that cost is not for the dimple but for the NP3 finish.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Since there is no knowledge of how many rounds this part may extend bolt life and since any cam pin will eventually ware, but how much ware is too much and since we don't want a failure at an inopportune time it would seem the best course of action is to replace the cam pin frequently. Perhaps replacing the cam pin every 5000 rounds with a $5.00 stock pin is the better option. Or actually measure and keep track of cam pin ware and change it at some determined ware point. All of this seems to disregard the effect of ware in the cam pin bore which is also occurring.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jackblack73 View Post
    Why do you keep saying this? You must know it’s not true if you’ve been reading the thread. Most of that cost is not for the dimple but for the NP3 finish.
    Why do you keep denying it is $19.00? What makes that cam pin better than a $4.50 cam pin marked with a pen? You and all you others simply cannot supply one fact supporting your case. "NP3 finish" what is that? Why should anyone care? Do you have just one scrap of evidence, one fact that it is better? Or are you going to talk about reputations and how long you have been in the business? Those are all diversions. You need facts and have presented none. The originators of this thread introduced an interesting idea on cam pin wear which is worth testing. They are to be commended for that but nothing else.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast