Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Copy of trust ppw and tax stamp, how do you carry it? How large is your printed copy?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In pa the stamp needs to be with the item it represents. I imagine there is a time frame to produce a stamp incase you forget. I don't carry mine on me I have them in a pdf file on my phone. Hope that's OK lol.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilk73 View Post
    I don't carry mine on me I have them in a pdf file on my phone. Hope that's OK lol.
    That's perfectly reasonable as the point of having the forms is to prove that you have a legal right to possess the NFA firearm. If an officer was ever to tell you that having a picture on your phone isn't good enough, it would be time to lawyer up as he'd be attempting to create a crime where none exists. I think the odds of that happening are about zero though.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    That's perfectly reasonable as the point of having the forms is to prove that you have a legal right to possess the NFA firearm. If an officer was ever to tell you that having a picture on your phone isn't good enough, it would be time to lawyer up as he'd be attempting to create a crime where none exists. I think the odds of that happening are about zero though.
    You're under no obligation to show your trust info or tax stamps to anyone but the ATF.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by feedramp View Post
    Is there a regulation to follow, one dictating the size of the copy of the trust paperwork?
    Does it have to be full letter-size paper printout or can you shrink it to fit multiple pages per sheet of paper to conserve space, provided it is still legible?

Does it need to be the full trust document or just a copy of the general provisions laying out the name, successors, and the signed/notarized page at the end?

I did read that the tax stamp serves as proof that the NFA item is in the trust and approved, along with the engraving on the item, so no Inventory sheet is needed.
    Not clear on the details regarding the trust paperwork that has to be kept with the tax stamped item at all times.

Thanks in advance.
    I don't have a trust but I have photos of all my stamps in my phone.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    You're under no obligation to show your trust info or tax stamps to anyone but the ATF.
    Well local law enforcement can arrest you under state law for weapons violations if you don' have proof the weapons are legally owned with the correct paperwork.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    That is not 100% true. You are legally required to show them to Treasury and IRS agents also. As it is a TAX Stamp they can ask for it. Other then that, you are correct.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Well local law enforcement can arrest you under state law for weapons violations if you don' have proof the weapons are legally owned with the correct paperwork.
    Pat
    They would need a reasonable belief the guns are illegal and not just a mere hunch or because they're cops and they think they have a right to see paperwork that they actually don't. Any cop that would arrest someone for that is a giant bag of dicks of the highest order.

Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    That is not 100% true. You are legally required to show them to Treasury and IRS agents also. As it is a TAX Stamp they can ask for it. Other then that, you are correct.
    The only thing more rare than a random ATF agent sighting at the range is a random Treasury/IRS agent sighting at the range.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    Just curious......
    Do Treasury or IRS agents routinely stop in at local shooting ranges or classes to inspect citizens documents? I suspect not. Knowing your own state laws and the laws in your AO should answer a lot of questions.

Feedback Score
    I have a close friend who is an FBI agent. We set up a shooting range on his property as we live in a rural area.

A few years back he had a barbecue at his house and several of his "work buddies" came out to play. When I pulled out my 6933 with a SOCOM suppressor on it 2 ATF agents took notice. One asked if I had tax stamps for the items in question. Not sure if this was a dick-measuring contest or some kind of warped test, I pulled out the business-card sized copies I carry in my wallet and handed the proper papers, one for each item, to the agent. Both guys looked them over for a while, handed them back to me and one agent said, "I would have thought these forms would have been larger?"

To which my FBI friend replied, "You guys are idiots".

YMMV

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    Just curious......
    Do Treasury or IRS agents routinely stop in at local shooting ranges or classes to inspect citizens documents? I suspect not. Knowing your own state laws and the laws in your AO should answer a lot of questions.
    No, I just know a Treasury Agent and I have had the discussion with him. I don't carry anything with me. If the "agents" have a need to know, then they will have the ability to call in the serial numbers and verify it based on my Drivers Licences.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast