Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Copy of trust ppw and tax stamp, how do you carry it? How large is your printed copy?

Feedback Score
    Thanks to those who provided suggestions on how to make it livable.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This. I feel like we're on ARFcom lately.
    Yeah, you know, eff me for trying to understand and adhere to the law. I don't like it any more than you do, but until that magical day when all the restrictions on a constitutional right are rescinded, I'm not interested in causing undue distress to myself or my family "just because".

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure about what sort of documentation is or isn't required from a legal standpoint, but I keep copies of my Form 1's and Form 4's on my phone just to avoid hassle from those in law enforcement officers who are ignorant of federal laws and regulations. I shoot my machineguns on my property. If a neighbor was to call the police, I want to be able to show the officer that I have the required legal documentation. If I have nothing, then I'd be depending on them taking my word which they might not. By having the required legal documentation, I can also request that the officer talks to the caller and tells them that I have met all the legal requirements for what I have and what I'm doing.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I'm not sure about what sort of documentation is or isn't required from a legal standpoint, but I keep copies of my Form 1's and Form 4's on my phone just to avoid hassle from those in law enforcement officers who are ignorant of federal laws and regulations. I shoot my machineguns on my property. If a neighbor was to call the police, I want to be able to show the officer that I have the required legal documentation. If I have nothing, then I'd be depending on them taking my word which they might not. By having the required legal documentation, I can also request that the officer talks to the caller and tells them that I have met all the legal requirements for what I have and what I'm doing.
    The ~200 acre muti range private complex I belong to requires you have your NFA paperwork with you at all times. My guess is as long as you're not being irresponsible, acting like a jerk or generally causing problems, no-one will ever ask. I also travel the country to visit friend and family, so I keep those NFA forms with me as well.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Samesies.

Quote Originally Posted by feedramp View Post
    Thanks to those who provided suggestions on how to make it livable.
    Yeah, you know, eff me for trying to understand and adhere to the law. I don't like it any more than you do, but until that magical day when all the restrictions on a constitutional right are rescinded, I'm not interested in causing undue distress to myself or my family "just because".
    No need to jump on Mark's case. A lot of people overthink this stuff, and there have been a lot of questions like this lately.

Let me ask you this - I presume you've carried firearms for a while for self defense purposes. Probably carry guns to and from the range often and have for many years. How many times has an LEO ever examined a firearm in your possession?

You don't carry a bill of sale with you to prove it isn't stolen, do you? Of course not.

Quote Originally Posted by feedramp View Post
    Isn't the requirement is to always have it with the item, especially when leaving the house with it? Would love to know more about the legal requirements around this, if they exist. I'd like to not have to print out physical copies to haul around with each item if that's not necessary. Specifically Form 1 items, but also Form 4 if that differs.
    No.

In my state, NFA items are illegal unless properly registered with the federal government. Mine are properly registered. Thus, they are legal. That's it. That is where the statute ends. There is no requirement in my state, or federally, for me to carry around any sort of proof or paperwork that they are registered.

I know this might shock the generally risk averse NFA crowd, but I don't even bring paperwork with me when I travel. If the BATFE or local LEOs are examining my firearms enough that they are demanding to see a tax stamp, I probably have big problems and me sending my buddy a text asking him to go to my house and snap a pic of my tax stamps isn't really one of them.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 08-07-20 at 16:46.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Nailed. It. Lots of oddball questions, spam posters, etc.

On topic, not a requirement so why bother?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Small 33% copies laminated of the Forms on 2 metal rings and a copy of the trust in a bankers zip pouch. 5320.20s would be in the same pouch in a small thin pocket of my range bag.I've put it there 5 years ago and it's never come out of the bag other than putting a couple new 5320.20s in it.

It take zero effort and is a better to have and not need it, although I don't always take that bag with me to the range. So online photos are another option which I also have.

Here in FL there is pretty much zero drama with LEO and such. Not to mention I'd never show them to a range pogue or someone like that.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Thanks for those providing info on here.

For those that care, here is the applicable federal law:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/5841

Previous readings of the internet suggested proof (tax stamp) must be retained at all times to be shown on demand. However, it’s more accurate that it must simply be retained and presented to the ATF on request; how long it takes to answer the request isn’t stipulated. Good info.

Feedback Score
    You can give ATF all the paperwork you want, they aren't going to believe you. They will look in their system to determine if your stuff is legal.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    You can give ATF all the paperwork you want, they aren't going to believe you. They will look in their system to determine if your stuff is legal.
    I will second this.

I never even received a hard copy of my form, just the pdf which I downloaded to my phone. Only one who I ever showed it to was the guy who engraved my lower so we could make sure he got the info right.
    Last edited by vandal5; 08-08-20 at 07:43.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have mine the size of a business card. If LEO want to be difficult, and don't want to take my word for it, I show 'em the cards. LOL. "Although I am not required to carry documents, I do this as a courtesy." Luckily in Utah LEO aren't too nutty. I've only been asked once, by BLM.
    Last edited by Shiz; 08-08-20 at 17:17.
    “Do you know what happens when you slice a golf ball in half? Someone gets mad at you. I found this out the hard way.”

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast