Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for good Gunsmith to do Pin & Weld for 14.5" AR Barrel - UTAH

Feedback Score

Looking for good Gunsmith to do Pin & Weld for 14.5" AR Barrel - UTAH

I have a 14.5" BCM upper and a dead air flash hider I want to get pinned and welded to the end. Does anyone know of anyone in northern Utah that does good work? I'm in Ogden area so north of SLC is preferred but I'd drive south for higher quality.

Impact Guns in Ogden does it but their price is so cheap $35 that I'm concerned they might not do a great job.
    The Armory in Sandy does it but they are 5 weeks out.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is cheap because it's easy. I did it on my own in the garage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilk73 View Post
    Is cheap because it's easy. I did it on my own in the garage.
    Gotcha but it does have to be competently done right? I mean I can think of two mistakes someone could make: 1. Drilling too deep into the barrel. Seems you only barely want to drill into it just enough to have the pin hold it. 2. Heating the barrel too much during the weld process and ruining the accuracy of the crown?

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Drill the barrel yourself with a hand drill and use some cutting oil (or gun oil). Make a pin out of an appropriately sized brad nail (just grind it down to the right size). Take the upper to a welding shop with a case of beer and ask if someone can put a spot of weld on your FH. Give welder who volunteered case of beer.

This method has worked multiple times for me.
    Last edited by Jmacken37; 08-07-20 at 12:59.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmacken37 View Post
    Drill the barrel yourself with a hand drill and use some cutting oil (or gun oil). Make a pin out of an appropriately sized brad nail (just grind it down to the right size). Take the upper to a welding shop with a case of beer and ask if someone can put a spot of weld on your FH. Give welder who volunteered case of beer.

This method has worked multiple times for me.
    This sounds like a great idea.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I’ve had Impact Guns pin one of my barrels. It turned out pretty good, but I think they silver solder, as I could see the pin and I didn’t see the usual tack weld.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    I’ve had Impact Guns pin one of my barrels. It turned out pretty good, but I think they silver solder, as I could see the pin and I didn’t see the usual tack weld.
    Any negatives to silver solder instead of welding? I thin silver solder takes 1100 degree heat. Not sure how that compares to a weld. Any barrel accuracy issues after?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Don't over think it.The smith at Impact does good work. You can do the prep work yourself. Drill through the muzzle device and just enough to dimple the barrel. Drill the hole a little smaller than the pin so it's a press fit. I used a smaller pin to test fit the length, then cut the actual pin to match. Press the pin in place, then take it in to be welded. I made my pin from drill stock.

If you need help, feel free to PM me. I'm a couple hours from where you are

PS- Install your muzzle device with shims. Not a crush washer. Not peel shims.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 08-07-20 at 16:20.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Looking for good Gunsmith to do Pin & Weld for 14.5" AR Barrel - UTAH

Just use John. I’m amazed at the quality of workmanship on my KAC. The p/w is almost imperceptible..amazing

Edited to add I got one day turnaround

https://retroarmsworks.com/
    Last edited by R0CKETMAN; 08-08-20 at 05:18.
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post
    Just use John. I’m amazed at the quality of workmanship on my KAC. The p/w is almost imperceptible..amazing

Edited to add I got one day turnaround

https://retroarmsworks.com/
    Rocketman nailed it. Just mail your upper to John thomas at RetroArmsWorks. He has done several pin and welds for me. His work is of impeccable quality and he offers same day turn around. I believe he charges $50 for the P&W, plus $16 postage. Give him a call or email. Very nice guy and easy to talk with. Many folks both here and on the other site use him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast