Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gen 5 Glock 17 Concealed Carry Holster Options

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Gen 5 Glock 17 Concealed Carry Holster Options

Gents,

I have a somewhat odd RFI- I am looking for a IWB holster for a gen 5 Glock 17 that after repeated holstering/unholstering will not mar the finish on the gun. The Glock I am considering carrying, on limited occasions, was given to me as a going away gift. It has laser engravings on the slide which contribute to its sentimental value that I'd like to protect as much as possible in addition to keeping a weapon like this in great shape. From experience with my EDC gun's holster, kydex will mar the finish over time and as I understand it from research leather will do the same. I've been told kydex holsters with a felt-like material on the inside provide better protection, but this is the first I've heard of anything like this. If anyone on this forum has better insight than I and can point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Every holster you use will mar the finish whether it’s kydex or leather. Some do it less than others.

For a solid IWB holster that will be very comfortable to wear, conform to your body, and conceal the weapon well, I recommend Milt Sparks VM II with an S4C mag pouch (Or D4C if you want 2 spares)

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    Gents,

I have a somewhat odd RFI- I am looking for a IWB holster for a gen 5 Glock 17 that after repeated holstering/unholstering will not mar the finish on the gun. The Glock I am considering carrying, on limited occasions, was given to me as a going away gift. It has laser engravings on the slide which contribute to its sentimental value that I'd like to protect as much as possible in addition to keeping a weapon like this in great shape. From experience with my EDC gun's holster, kydex will mar the finish over time and as I understand it from research leather will do the same. I've been told kydex holsters with a felt-like material on the inside provide better protection, but this is the first I've heard of anything like this. If anyone on this forum has better insight than I and can point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Personally I would put the G17 away if you are that concerned about the finish...and get another one.

I have a Blue Line LLC IWB for my Glock, it wears on the slide but really only in a few minor spots and is really not that noticeable, it is a great holster. Kydex is easy to clean and wipe it down from sweat after a day of carrying, but the VM2 is an awesome holster.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Either stop caring about it or buy a different weapon to carry.

Feedback Score
    Why are you carrying a gun?

Is it for self-defense?

What happens if you have to use it?

Yes, the precious sentimental pistol who’s finish you are concerned with may end up in the fight for your very life. It may get marred up on the process. It is going to get marred up training, as you should be training.

Then you have the conflict which you must defend yourself and it gets confiscated. It’s in others’ hands and maybe or maybe isn’t “preserved” for the unknown amount of time they keep it before they, it ever, release it back to you.

I think it’s time to re-evaluate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've found smooth leather that's well boned to your gun is pretty easy on finish. I have a couple of Alessi holsters that I've carried blued guns that have only minimal wear, and bluing is definitely more fragile than Glock finish. You may get a little rubbing on the corners around the the muzzle, but I have an engraved 1911 I've carried in leather IWB and shoulder rigs that's got very little wear. I don't have any experience with the new Ritchie holsters, but I know they have a direct lineage to Alessi--this is what I use: http://www.ritchieholsters.com/catal...00002/stakeout. If you want to spend some money, I think horse hide or shark skin would also be gentle on a finish, but I haven't used one so I can't suggest a maker.

My opinion only, but I also appreciate carrying guns that have a sentimental value to me. If I have to use one, even if I never get it back being a live is a good trade off in my book.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    Why are you carrying a gun?

Is it for self-defense?

What happens if you have to use it?

Yes, the precious sentimental pistol who’s finish you are concerned with may end up in the fight for your very life. It may get marred up on the process. It is going to get marred up training, as you should be training.

Then you have the conflict which you must defend yourself and it gets confiscated. It’s in others’ hands and maybe or maybe isn’t “preserved” for the unknown amount of time they keep it before they, it ever, release it back to you.

I think it’s time to re-evaluate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To provide some additional context, I carry a Glock 19 for both professional and personal use. I train extensively and put several thousand rounds a year through those guns in a variety of settings. I feel comfortable enough with my current proficiency to carry and employ a Glock 17 for self defense should the need arise.

If I have to use my weapon then ya, it’s go time. At that point I could care less if anything gets marred or the weapon gets confiscated by police after the fact. Not worth my life. Until that point, I’m entertaining the plausibility of carrying my 17, for the few times I’d carry it over my 19, while protecting it from unnecessary wear and tear being a unique weapon.

From the group, I appreciate your input and the recommendations on the variety of holsters- I will look into them. Knowing that I’ll have to accept some wear from any holster is a great fact going forward.

Feedback Score
    If you are worried about slide wear, get an extra gun or a different upper. Could easily get an oem upper on gunbroker. Your carry gun is a tool, last thing you should worry about is scratching it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    Every holster you use will mar the finish whether it’s kydex or leather. Some do it less than others.

For a solid IWB holster that will be very comfortable to wear, conform to your body, and conceal the weapon well, I recommend Milt Sparks VM II with an S4C mag pouch (Or D4C if you want 2 spares)
    I like this Versa max as well. But I would strongly recommend you consider using the 17 as a range toy of home defense and get something like the 48 with Shield mags as a concealed carry piece. Much smaller and only 2 less rounds.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I’m not the OP...however, he was specifically asking about a Glock 17. There’s nothing wrong carrying one, they’re fairly easy to conceal. I carry mine all day and never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I like this Versa max as well. But I would strongly recommend you consider using the 17 as a range toy of home defense and get something like the 48 with Shield mags as a concealed carry piece. Much smaller and only 2 less rounds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast