Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strike Industries charging handle

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Strike Industries charging handle

I have a Strike Industries extended latch 7075-T6 charging handle. It runs smoother than the unmarked standard CH I had before and I like the extended latch. However I've just discovered the poor reputation SI has on this forum. I guess a charging handle seemed like a simple enough item so I didn't think to check before buying it. Is there anything known wrong with this one specific product? I won't be buying more from SI but I like this one better than what I had.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I know a guy who bought a subtier part and his rifle failed TEXAN STYLE just this week.

I’d throw it away and buy a BCM, but I’m wasteful like that.

I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I have a Strike Industries extended latch 7075-T6 charging handle. It runs smoother than the unmarked standard CH I had before and I like the extended latch. However I've just discovered the poor reputation SI has on this forum. I guess a charging handle seemed like a simple enough item so I didn't think to check before buying it. Is there anything known wrong with this one specific product? I won't be buying more from SI but I like this one better than what I had.
    Use it. If it breaks get a better one. Look at Vltor or the Radian Raptor. I have both and they are rock solid.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It'll be fine. It's a 7075 charging handle. The extended latch is the weak point on it same as it would be on any other extended latch standard charging handle. While Strike Industries may make some things some people find distasteful, they also make some pretty decent things too. And Taiwan is not China.

As mentioned above though, if you're looking for a better charging handle, pony up for a better charging handle (like the Raptor) and skip the half measures (extended latch alone).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    The extended latch is the weak point on it same as it would be on any other extended latch standard charging handle.
    Regarding that SI claims "latch force transmitted through body." Is that BS?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Regarding that SI claims "latch force transmitted through body." Is that BS?
    Not exactly, and to be completely forthright, I was not exactly clear either.

Their extended latch will work as advertised, as they've designed it to make contact with the T of the charging handle itself to try and alleviate additional stress on the standard sized roll pin holding it in place, as that's a known point of failure on standard charging handles, and is exacerbated with most extended latches. However, now you've got a higher chance of pinching or getting something caught between the latch and the T of the handle.

So, it's a rather smart design to make up for the standard roll pin's weakness, but at a slight cost elsewhere.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thank you.

Feedback Score
    It's fine. Just avoid their (and for that matter everyone else's) "latchless" charging handle.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by js8588 View Post
    It's fine. Just avoid their (and for that matter everyone else's) "latchless" charging handle.
    Ive seen those. Can you elaborate on why not to use them?
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Ive seen those. Can you elaborate on why not to use them?
    Pardon me jumping in. SI at least says: "Not rated for suppressors and /or full auto fire. Not for use on SBRs or pistol length barrels (<14.5")" This implies that the detent doesn't hold nearly as well as a regular latch. Also I there are reports of the leaf spring breaking or weakening, and unlike a sheared latch roll pin there doesn't appear to be a simple repair.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast