Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strike Industries charging handle

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was lol, but steel on aluminum, whether inside or out of the upper receiver, steel is still going to win, so my assessment stands

Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    I think you're confusing one of those ball bearing detent latchless charging handles with the Strike Industries leaf spring latchless charging handle that interfaces with the charging handle insertion recesses(?) inside the upper receiver?
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Is a replacement available? Making one does not seem trivial.
    No idea if a replacement spring is available, i was only commenting on which of the two I'd rather try to replace.

For all I know, the cost of the replacement spring might be close enough to simply chuck the charging handle and grab a new one, which is exactly the same thing I'd do for a sheared roll pin and splayed T regardless of replacement parts cost.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    I was lol, but steel on aluminum, whether inside or out of the upper receiver, steel is still going to win, so my assessment stands

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Returning to the original subject the SI handle I have uses an aluminum latch. Is that wise or foolish?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Extended latches were a thing back in early 2000s, some of them were over correction even then. A long lever has more mechanical advantage, you may not wear an egg shape on the latch around the roll pin, but with a long lever, you're a lot more likely to. If you mortar your AR, the long latch would seem to help in accessibility but you'd be stressing the latch a great deal more. The roll pin itself is strong enough, the aluminum around it isn't when the user is able to exert a lot of torque on it from force amplification.

Capture.JPG

The extended latch also digs into backs and catches on gear. Depending on where you pull, long latches can encourage the user to pull it side ways, whereas a short latch's direction rearward is a lot closer to being parallel to the body of the CH and the bore. I'd rather have short latches, and ours (ACF) has short latches for reasons mentioned above.

Stick to known reputable, US made brands. USGI/TDP spec will serve you well. Leave the Stroke CH in the bin
    Last edited by Duffy; 08-14-20 at 23:34.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Are you able to use "blade" manipulation with the short latches, or do you disparage that method?

ch-ballf15-palm.jpg

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    With the short latches, they might be harder to access for some and that's the trade off, there is rarely a perfect design without comprimises, it's a matter of whether the benefits outweigh the shortcomings.

With short handles, they give up ease of access which I consider a non-issue because military CH has been like this for decades. What you get from it far outweighs whatever real or perceived compromises of the short handle/latch: less stress on the latch around the roll pin, less pulling it at an angle, forward assist clearance on the right side (since you're pulling it from a spot very close to the main body of the CH, your finger has a much better chance of clearing the FA's rim if you use the right latch/handle), won't dig into your back when you sling it.

I've used magnified scopes with standard CH, never did see the draw of extended latches. Given the issues it can introduce, it's not something I want.

Users can use any method they are comfortable with, either blading or pinching, I don't think there's a wrong way It's harder to blade with short latches, pinch is easier and what Jeff Gonzales teaches, I use what he taught to this day
    Last edited by Duffy; 08-15-20 at 13:25.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design

Feedback Score
    I put a Radian Raptor CH on mine, and the size of it is perfect for me, but then I'm not in the Marines anymore, and am not lugging around gear. I don't know if I would have liked it as much in that situation...the standard latch worked just fine.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    FWIW (not much) I just picked up one of PRIs new ambi "gas buster" charging handles. Absolutely perfect to my eyes. I'll be swapping out all of my Geisseles for these.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by js8588 View Post
    FWIW (not much) I just picked up one of PRIs new ambi "gas buster" charging handles. Absolutely perfect to my eyes. I'll be swapping out all of my Geisseles for these.
    I hope its better than the original gas buster. As FCD stated above "extended" latches like the PRI big latch gas buster was notorious for shearing roll pins. It was to the point where I was doing roll pin replacement as preventative maintenance.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast