Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Term Storage

Feedback Score

Long Term Storage

Did some searching here and did find some interesting options. The specific thread I was interested in was Long Term Storage for BCGs, which is what my interest was.
    Last reply to that thread was 10 years ago. Just wondering if there are any better options for long term storage of gun parts 10 years later.

Vacuum sealers are fairly inexpensive now and there might be better options for the oil or grease today as well. My experience with oils and plastic bags has not been positive over the years.
    It works for a while but must be checked on because the plastic will fail at some point, letting the oil or grease leak out. Wondering if using the plastic bag with oil/grease then vacuum sealing
    the whole thing in a vacuum seal bag might work better ? PVC pipe is always an option but isn't very discreet or foldable to tuck away somewhere.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    We talking time capsule prepper setup, which I think is what you're getting at, or just in the safe?

Long term storage is another of the reasons I've been switching over to nitride for about everything. Otherwise, out west, there's no salt or moisture/humidity to worry about, except snow.

I would hazard a guess at nitride products, spraying everything with that long term corrosion inhibitor specialty version of WD40 might be a good idea, dessicant packets, double vacuum bagged, capped and sealed PVC tube that doesn't allow movement within it, if I was to go the prepper route.
    Last edited by ColtSeavers; 08-08-20 at 21:19.

Feedback Score
    I have my 6 extra complete BCG's dipped in EWL, allowed to drip off the excess, and each one rolled up in it's own gallon ziplock. I would think it is sufficient for both above-ground as well as below-ground storage (below ground will need an exterior watertight container of course).
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Time capsule, prepper setup is what I'm talking about, don't own or have the luxury of a safe.

EWL 30 has been my go to for use and storage from classroom experience but as stated, plastic bags eventually break down. They all break down, no matter brand or mill thickness.
    Entropy is King it seems. Just looking for modern solutions but maybe the old ways are just as relevant today as they were 50 - 60 years ago ? Decade solutions are what I'm after.
    Even I can keep up with checking conditions every ten years.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are Mosins still shipped encased in cosmoline?

Feedback Score
    I recently received a Bravo Company AR15 bolt to keep as a long term spare. It arrived in a small heat sealed plastic bag. I saw no liquid oil so emailed them to see if I needed to open the bag to apply oil to prevent rust (which would ruin the sealed bag). They responded that the part is sprayed with G96 Gun Treatment before packaging. To bag your own stuff maybe wrapping the oiled part in wax or parchment paper would help protect the plastic bag. Many years ago I used to receive ordered parts that way.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt Carson View Post
    I recently received a Bravo Company AR15 bolt to keep as a long term spare. It arrived in a small heat sealed plastic bag. I saw no liquid oil so emailed them to see if I needed to open the bag to apply oil to prevent rust (which would ruin the sealed bag). They responded that the part is sprayed with G96 Gun Treatment before packaging. To bag your own stuff maybe wrapping the oiled part in wax or parchment paper would help protect the plastic bag. Many years ago I used to receive ordered parts that way.
    Thanks for that. I received a spare BCG from them a few months back, and stuck it in the safe in the bag it came with it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt Carson View Post
    I’ve noticed a lot of manufacturers using G96. Didn’t realize it until I bought some G96 a few months ago. It has a distinct smell and an appearance when on metal. Boiled linseed oil is also a good option.

OP - The key is the container you store them in. You could dip it all in cosmoline and still run the risk of parts of it all rusting due to water getting inside your container. Invest in a quality, waterproof container, oil the parts well with something like G96 or boiled linseed oil, and store some desiccant packs inside the container to catch any moisture that might get in.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    http://www.g96.com/products/gun-treatment/

G96 “Triple Action” Gun Treatment ® is the finest most complete firearms product made. It Cleans, Lubricates, and Protects your gun in one operation. No solvent or preservation necessary.

Available in 12 oz. and 4.5 oz. aerosol spray cans.
    G96 stock # 1055 (4.5 oz.) and 1055P (12 oz.)

Cleans Your Gun: Contains solvents which will completely remove all traces of rust, gun powder, leading, and corrosion in seconds.
    Lubricates Your Gun: Contains lubricants which will not freeze, oxidize, or evaporate (the result of missile research). Leaves no gummy residue. Keeps firing pin and all moving parts working as low as -50F below zero; insures perfect firing every time.
    Protects Your Gun: Leaves invisible magnetic film over all metal parts which protects your gun against rust under all weather conditions, even salt water spray. Protects frequently handled guns against “fingerprint” damage. This is the single and best gun care maintenance product ever designed to solve a gun owner’s cleaning, lubricating and corrosion protection problems. A unique formulation of active lubricants will not freeze, oxidize or evaporate. Designed with a pleasant odor, this gun treatment is assured perfect firing from 50 F below zero to 350 F.
    Safe for use on polymers.
    Directions for use:

If necessary, clean firearm first using G96 Bore Solvent or G96 Crud Buster. Spray evenly over area to be treated. Allow to set for 60 seconds. Wipe with clean cloth. Apply to all metal surfaces, inside chamber and inside barrel. Wipe after application. When treating gun for first time or for long term storage protection, spray three times, wiping dry after first and second application. Note: After treating gun allow solvent contained in the oil to evaporate for 10 minutes before placing gun in any airtight container such as a gun case, sealed carton, etc.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    No experience with G-96, but Corrosion-X has worked 100% in my own use and in various third-party tests I've read. It also neutralizes minor rust, and while it's not a very good lube it would leave the weapon usable without any further cleaning.

Cosmoline remains a solid option but requires extensive cleaning before you can use the gun afterward.

On farm equipment that gets treated much, much worse than guns and sometimes lives outdoors, Dupont chain wax has proven to be amazing for both durable lubrication (waxy/near dry) and rust prevention. That's available from spamazon in various containers including spray and small nozzle. It has greatly outperformed, in my experience, Boeshield T-9, silicone spray and WD-40. I have not directly tested it against Corrosion-X because I use them for different purposes.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast