Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long Term Storage

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Got some of this to try. Break-Free LP Lube.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ghideon View Post
    Thanks for that. I received a spare BCG from them a few months back, and stuck it in the safe in the bag it came with it.
    I had thought those guys were joking about BCG's and storing them in their safes.

Guess not.

Feedback Score
    When and if I need to stash parts or weapons this is my thoughts on what I will do.

Air holds moisture and that’s what corrodes and ruins firearms or ammo.

For a BCG a section of 2” PVC pipe with pvc end caps will work. Glue one end cap on be sure to use primer on both parts allow this to cure for 24-48 hours. Have both the tube and the other end cap primed and ready.

Argon holds no moisture and is denser than air so it displaces the air. Stand the tube on end and purge the upright tube with argon several times. Insert parts into tube and purge with argon again. Glue the end cap on.

The PVC tube can be buried for long periods. The argon is inert and won’t react with the pvc tube or the part inside.

Remove the cause of the corrosion which is moisture and the parts won’t rust.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    I had thought those guys were joking about BCG's and storing them in their safes.

Guess not.
    It's so I can't lose it. I have a small shelf in the upper part for odds and ends, wife's jewerly, etc.

Plus, this being CA, who knows what's next.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ghideon View Post
    It's so I can't lose it. I have a small shelf in the upper part for odds and ends, wife's jewerly, etc.

Plus, this being CA, who knows what's next.
    I keep my premium ammunition in the bottom of my safe simply because I have room. I guess some people would say that during a fire my safe could explode, but I figure if it gets that hot in the lower part of my safe the guns are probably compromised anyway. Anybody know the approximate temperature for a cartridge to “cook off” or ignite?

Feedback Score
    Dunno, but the ammo is stored in the ammo safe...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Came upon this C.E. Harris recommendation for Alox while looking for something else and happened to remember this discussion.

https://yarchive.net/gun/long_term_storage.html

Feedback Score
    I recently removed from storage some items that were stored for over 10 years. I put them away and didn’t know how long I needed them to be stored.

I used CLP, wrapped in VCI paper and then put into silver looking plastic storage bags from Brownells. I folded the ends three times and taped.

Everything came out great.

Feedback Score
    back in 2005-2006, i hide am SKS in the ground with a bunch of spare parts that were steel. I double vacuum sealed them in transmission oil. and then put them in a ammo can with dry packs and used RTV silicone around the lid. Wrapped the ammo can in insulation and dug them 36" in the ground. in 2017 when i bought some land, i un earthed the package and the rifle and parts were just like i put them in there. I did the SKS the same way, but put it in a PVC pipe and wrapped in insulation.

Feedback Score

Long Term Storage

Lots of options out there. How aggressive you need to be with rust protection would be determined by the climate and environment you live in (AZ desert vs. Gulf Coast).

Regardless, if you really want to be safe, get some Brownells Rust Preventative #2, spray it down, stick it in a sealed ziplock bag, and it will store for years.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...-prod1124.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast