Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: I want a 9mm 1911. I thought I wanted an STI until...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    Interesting. Is there a reason other than higher mag capacity in the same dimensions that they would be preferred for competition guys?
    It’s all about capacity. Reloads are planned on the move. Slide lock is slow and takes up time. Nothing other than that. My guess is he has some of those magazines or those base pads.

Typically competition magazines are not measured by round count, but by length so you know what divisions they are legal for. Almost any 2011 magazine greater than 140mm is likely designed for competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Copy, thank you.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    It’s all about capacity. Reloads are planned on the move. Slide lock is slow and takes up time. Nothing other than that. My guess is he has some of those magazines or those base pads.

Typically competition magazines are not measured by round count, but by length so you know what divisions they are legal for. Almost any 2011 magazine greater than 140mm is likely designed for competition.

Interesting.

So I have four 140mm 20rd mags with the baseplates as pictured in the pics above. All are black Teflon and two came with the gun. Two I bought direct from staccato.

I have one 17rd mag that came with the gun with a regular short baseplate. The baseplates on the 20s is the “same” to the internal dimensions on the magazines but the interesting thing is the spring in the 20rd mag is the same as the 17rd mag. The 17rd mag is more reliable at locking the slide back.

All mags have the Gen2 follower w/ notch for lockback.

I’ve also noticed my slide release doesn’t exactly fit the groove thanks to Gaijin and might need some filing. I’m going to post pics of what a 20rd mag does when I get it to lock back.

This is how my slide lock is (when it works) using the 20rd mags. The 17rd mag comes up a bit more but none of them completely fill the groove (unless u push it up by hand).

17rd mag

If I push the bottom of the mag up into the gun while I rack the slide it fully engages.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 08-22-20 at 16:21.

Feedback Score
    Looks like a two-fold problem with mags and the release. I’d call them Monday and confirm which mags will/won’t lock and if the base pads will prevent locking. I’m not up on the Gen 2s but the 17s should most definitely lock back EVERY time. If it’s not, the slide release may need tweaked. Not a big deal, but you do a lot more QC yourself on a $2000 2011 vs a $5000 blaster.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    From everything I've read it really seems like the the Gen2 grips are a step backwards.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    PM your way Euro...
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Yeah the splits were insane. I’m taking it back to the range today and will post more pics and try to get a video up. There’s just no recoil on this thing and I can’t believe how accurate it is.
    I blame you for me buying a C2 today...lol. I can't wait to get it to the range

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Sorry for all the posts/back and forth as I try to diagnose in real time.

It’s not a magazine issue. It’s not a slide catch/release issue. The issue is that damn detent.

To summarize:

Got the gun brand new. Field stripped it (did not remove safeties or main spring housing), cleaned and lubricated.

Shot approximately 220 rounds with all 5 of my Gen2 Teflon magazines. One 17rd four 20rd. I had zero issues. Slide locked to the rear. No failures of any kind.

After 3 20rd mag rapid fire sessions, the slide did not lock to the rear on the last magazine. From then on it kept failing to lock back. I tried to disassemble and couldn’t because the slide catch was jammed after pushing it about 1/8” out. Later that evening I discovered that the detent was frozen in place.

Now, after trouble shooting mags for 24 hours (which gave me no issues) I have again a stuck detent and a slide catch about 1/8” out from the gun that I can neither pull out nor push back in.

Will be leaving the gun as-is and contacting STI so they can see exactly what I’m dealing with. I don’t need a “We couldn’t replicate your issue” response, and I’ve got over 20 hours of my own QC work in this gun already.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 08-22-20 at 19:33.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    Looks like a two-fold problem with mags and the release. I’d call them Monday and confirm which mags will/won’t lock and if the base pads will prevent locking. I’m not up on the Gen 2s but the 17s should most definitely lock back EVERY time. If it’s not, the slide release may need tweaked. Not a big deal, but you do a lot more QC yourself on a $2000 2011 vs a $5000 blaster.

The idea of doing any QC on a $2000 pistol is completely insane to me.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    The idea of doing any QC on a $2000 pistol is completely insane to me.
    I can see why you’d feel that way. I would, too. But in perspective, a $2000 2011 is just about the cheapest 2011 you can get. Think of buying a Hi-Point vs a Gen 5 Glock.

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast