Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: I want a 9mm 1911. I thought I wanted an STI until...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Good to hear, hopefully they take care of you and you get back a reliable, functioning pistol. I have been wanting a Staccato since they came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Got in touch with STI CS today. Very helpful group. Sent me a label in about 15 minutes.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    To chime in here:

- I have a Chambers Custom Night Fighter.
    - It took around 9 months to get to me.
    - Only a full custom gun that you spec has a 3-4 year wait; if you order a Pro-Series expect about a year (still a custom gun but you're not changing the formula)
    - Chambers has 3 other gunsmiths. That's it. He keeps their production numbers low to maintain quality.
    - I have over 17,000 rounds through my gun with 2 magazine related malfunctions with STI mags that needed a follower deburred.
    - I have only replaced the recoil spring once because Chambers uses a superior spinr
    - Chambers guns get 500rds through them before you get it...that's why you don't need to send it back after you figure out what's wrong.
    - If you shoot a 2011 as good as Glock you're the weak link.
    - I have a Staccato P on order. Will report back.

Standing by for questions

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer27 View Post
    To chime in here:

- Chambers guns get 500rds through them before you get it...that's why you don't need to send it back after you figure out what's wrong.

This is one thing I don't get about new Staccatos. If they have several guys/gals (Hilton, Mike P., etc.) putting high round counts on these, it's not entirely unlikely that they had some of the common issues I see reports of and they could've been addressed early on (unless there guns got more attention than usual). For instance, it seems that it's not uncommon for there to be something off with the geometry of the feed ramp, at least in how it interacts with the mags and different kinds of ammo, or it could be more of a mag problem, who knows. Still, Staccato, as far as I'm aware, hasn't really given a consistent answer as to what it might be, despite the problem being not altogether uncommon and similar across those that have the issue.

I'm not necessarily in the "If it's $2,000, it'd better run like a Ferrari," camp, because it's a 2011 and I had to temper expectations going in, but I'd like to know whether they have identified a somewhat uniform problem rather than the assorted responses they've given (bad batch of mag catches, slide lock, magazines and updates are coming, etc.). My perception is the demand is high and they're pushing them hard and the kind of general support I'm talking about is lacking. Not knocking their CS for individual guns, as I've heard no complaints. As an example (again, just my opinion), but I was displeased that their response to at least one person was that it's a mag problem and they're releasing a new generation of magazine (after the 2nd) - well, I already spent $400+ on mags, so am I SOL and now they're range mags? It is what it is, but I'd at least like to know what I'm in for, plus they marketed the 2nd gen mags as nearly bulletproof.

Edited to add: I love my non-Duo P and my "critique" is not even that big of a deal in my mind; it's just their lack of general support/consistent message/feedback that I find mildly annoying.
    Last edited by sundance435; 08-25-20 at 14:29.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

I want a 9mm 1911. I thought I wanted an STI until...

To chime in here:

- I have a Chambers Custom Night Fighter.
    - It took around 9 months to get to me.
    - Only a full custom gun that you spec has a 3-4 year wait; if you order a Pro-Series expect about a year (still a custom gun but you're not changing the formula)
    - Chambers has 3 other gunsmiths. That's it. He keeps their production numbers low to maintain quality.
    - I have over 17,000 rounds through my gun with 2 magazine related malfunctions with STI mags that needed a follower deburred.
    - I have only replaced the recoil spring once because Chambers uses a superior spinr

I’m on the 2021 list for a Nightfighter but I doubt I’ll see it until 2022 lol. Oh well, order and forget it I figure. I’ve been looking at a couple different Nighthawks for the interim though. I get the chambers demand comes from some of the exclusivity but I’d like to know what they’re doing differently then some of the other high end brands.

Also you should post pics. Because reasons
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 08-25-20 at 22:47.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    This is one thing I don't get about new Staccatos. If they have several guys/gals (Hilton, Mike P., etc.) putting high round counts on these, it's not entirely unlikely that they had some of the common issues I see reports of and they could've been addressed early on (unless there guns got more attention than usual). For instance, it seems that it's not uncommon for there to be something off with the geometry of the feed ramp, at least in how it interacts with the mags and different kinds of ammo, or it could be more of a mag problem, who knows. Still, Staccato, as far as I'm aware, hasn't really given a consistent answer as to what it might be, despite the problem being not altogether uncommon and similar across those that have the issue.

I'm not necessarily in the "If it's $2,000, it'd better run like a Ferrari," camp, because it's a 2011 and I had to temper expectations going in, but I'd like to know whether they have identified a somewhat uniform problem rather than the assorted responses they've given (bad batch of mag catches, slide lock, magazines and updates are coming, etc.). My perception is the demand is high and they're pushing them hard and the kind of general support I'm talking about is lacking. Not knocking their CS for individual guns, as I've heard no complaints. As an example (again, just my opinion), but I was displeased that their response to at least one person was that it's a mag problem and they're releasing a new generation of magazine (after the 2nd) - well, I already spent $400+ on mags, so am I SOL and now they're range mags? It is what it is, but I'd at least like to know what I'm in for, plus they marketed the 2nd gen mags as nearly bulletproof.

Edited to add: I love my non-Duo P and my "critique" is not even that big of a deal in my mind; it's just their lack of general support/consistent message/feedback that I find mildly annoying.
    Taken collectively it seems like a lot of the problems came with the transition to the gen2 grips and the corresponding changes affecting the magazine positioning in the gun. If things weren’t broke on the gen 1s I don’t understand why they set out to fix it.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Taken collectively it seems like a lot of the problems came with the transition to the gen2 grips and the corresponding changes affecting the magazine positioning in the gun. If things weren’t broke on the gen 1s I don’t understand why they set out to fix it.

It does seem that way now. They have said in the past that the gen 2 was stronger, but I have no idea if they're planning any further changes.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I think they're getting there. Whenever there is an issue they do make it right. A lot of the mag issues are people topping off mags with 147 flat nose...and then being surprised when the magazine spring wears out resulting in a failure to feed... I don't think you're SOL with the current generation of mags but the magazine springs aren't going to last forever. They need a better spring. Guys like Noner also have a stack of mags and know that an issue was magazine related instead of blaming the gun. Personally, I run MBX mags for things that matter and STI mags for everything else.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    What Chambers is doing differently:
    - Slide stop pin location is lower resulting in softer shooting, less wear on the gun, better lock up.
    - Proper barrel fit
    - Unique slide/frame dimensions
    - Marvel disconnector cut
    - Properly fit, finish reamed Kart barrel
    - .0001 tolerances
    - 500rds testing before the gun is out the door
    - 1.5" at 50yd guarantee
    - Proper mainspring/recoil spring balance

That's just off the top of my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    I’m on the 2021 list for a Nightfighter but I doubt I’ll see it until 2022 lol. Oh well, order and forget it I figure. I’ve been looking at a couple different Nighthawks for the interim though. I get the chambers demand comes from some of the exclusivity but I’d like to know what they’re doing differently then some of the other high end brands.

Also you should post pics. Because reasons

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    It does seem that way now. They have said in the past that the gen 2 was stronger, but I have no idea if they're planning any further changes.
    I finally got some hands on time with a P, P DUO, and Gen1 DUO.

The Gen 2 grip is absolutely hot trash omg. Unnecessarily over-sized, texturing lack luster. The gen1 was superior by far. I pick one up I'll definitely be swapping the grip out. Guns felt solid otherwise and on par with a nice TRP imo.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    What Chambers is doing differently:
    - Slide stop pin location is lower resulting in softer shooting, less wear on the gun, better lock up.
    - Proper barrel fit
    - Unique slide/frame dimensions
    - Marvel disconnector cut
    - Properly fit, finish reamed Kart barrel
    - .0001 tolerances
    - 500rds testing before the gun is out the door
    - 1.5" at 50yd guarantee
    - Proper mainspring/recoil spring balance

That's just off the top of my head.
    Thank you. Also standby for PM.

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast