Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: I want a 9mm 1911. I thought I wanted an STI until...

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAVDOC View Post
    Regarding chambers 3-4 year wait, that is not at all unusual for custom 1911 smiths of known quality. A bunch of really skilled smiths are not even taking orders anymore and have similar wait times.
    If you want a basic single stack 1911 there are plenty of 1k ish price range pistols out there
    Several quality semi customs like Wilson les Baer and others in the 2500-3500 range if you want something a touch more refined.
    Do these companies allow you to pay to skip the line? Like if I give an extra $1k can I have it in a month?

I’m not waiting 4 years for anything. Shit, I’ve never even been with the same girl for 4 years!

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Euro-

I’d encourage you to shoot a Staccato before dropping that kind of coin on one.

Couple things;
    The post above refers to “late STIs” having fitment issues. I can sign off on that.
    Our small group has 7 of last years/2019 guns.
    6 of those had marginal to poor barrel fit and 5 had exceptionally poor extractor install, like failure to function poor.
    While all of these were fairly simple fixes, it shouldn’t have been necessary with the guns in question ranging from 2K to 4K.

One of the guys has a new Duo. I checked it out for him and saw no concerns, this would support Staccato having tightened up their QC, but is obviously a sample of ONE.

Another issue is grip size.
    If you have manly (normal/large) hands its a moot point.
    If you have medium or small hands, the grip is gonna be on the outside of controllable.

Even with these caveats and personally owning several custom and an idiotic number of semi customs; my STIs are the pistols I shoot 95% of the time.
    20/27 rds trumps 10/11 rds.
    If I got a 2020 version Staccato P what would you say the likelihood of me getting a 100% functional gun is?

I just know so little - I literally don't even know what I don't know about 1911s.

People talking about Wilson, Ed Brown, Nighthawk. These names might as well be gibberish.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 08-09-20 at 11:55.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    What about the WC EDC X9?
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 08-09-20 at 14:32.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    What about the WC WDC X9?
    If you're thinking EDC X9, yeah that's the one I meant, it's here: https://www.wilsoncombat.com/edc-x9/

1911 goodness and trigger, but in a modernized, hi-cap design that sort of improves on the errr, quirks in the original design (heresy, I know). For example: no grip safety. About the size of a G19. And immediately available.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

The Wilson EDC-X9, should be high on your list. Phenomenal guns for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    In short, I’d buy a Wilson Combat and be done with it.
    I had the Stacatto-P bug until a VERY well known firearms instructor purchased one and reported that they don’t run hollow points with the larger capacity magazines. I was bummed.
    I see a Wilson Combat 1911 9MM with that same instructor’s signature on the slide in the near future.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    What about the WC WDC X9?
    Good to go. One of the pups EDC one.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    In short, I’d buy a Wilson Combat and be done with it.
    I had the Stacatto-P bug until a VERY well known firearms instructor purchased one and reported that they don’t run hollow points with the larger capacity magazines. I was bummed.
    I see a Wilson Combat 1911 9MM with that same instructor’s signature on the slide in the near future.
    I shot 124 +P GDs and HSTs out of both of mine this AM (and have for months) using fully loaded 20 rd mags, so....
    Never been a problem, but again, these are Gen 2 mags.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Assuming you plan to carry this and not use just for comps or range toy, if buying today, personally I'd get one of these three options. All of which are production guns and available.

1. One of the aluminum-framed Dan Wesson commander models I listed above. The TCP if you want a rail.
    2. The EDC X9, if you want to slightly depart from the standard 1911 design and get a few modern updates, plus 15rd mags.
    3. A Wilson Combat or Cylinder & Slide aluminum-framed LW 9mm. Like this one, or this one. The last is probably what I'd personally get, if I didn't already have my steel-framed C&S commander.

ETA: For what it's worth Euro, was looking at a recent email from John Harrison (one of the leading 1911 custom gunsmiths with a backlog going out 5 years). I had asked his opinion of quality LW 1911 commanders, he said: "I have a Wilson Combat Hackathorn Special (Ken is a buddy) in the LW Commander format in 9mm and I like it a lot. It’s been a flawless performer." So that's a pretty good endorsement of the LW Wilson commanders.

Last edited by maximus83; 08-09-20 at 17:01.

Feedback Score
    Wilson combat and be done with it. They are amazing weapons. This is from a wc but in 45acp at 25 yards 5 shots. That gun just flat runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast