Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: I want a 9mm 1911. I thought I wanted an STI until...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I have been reaching out to folks to try and answer that question and I’m only more confused. Some things I’ve heard are that guns like Nighthawk and Chambers are better and Staccato P’s are mag finicky and have problems. P’s are gamer guns. Etc.

First, I’m generally not one to fixate on price. I know you get what you pay for and if it’s what I need then that’s the price to pay. But I don’t know enough about any of these guns to understand why a Staccato P is $1999 and a Nighthawk or Chambers is on the wrong side of $5000. To me, it’s like I can have a $65,000 BMW which is very nice or a $280,000 Lamborghini which is of course nicer but completely unnecessary.

Second, Chambers lists a 36-48 MONTH lead time for builds. Even if this is for a truly custom gun that I won’t be buying, any company that lists 4 years for build times is a huge red flag. That’s insane and completely laughable. Are these guys searching the earth for the iron to pull directly out of the ground with which to forge my frame? Nah. The Empire State Building was made in less than two years. Hell we were only at war with Nazi Germany for 42 months!

Third, and this is a me problem, but I would probably still carry a Glock. I of course want any gun I buy to run 100% but the differential in accuracy a 1911 provides isn’t making up for the weight and muscle memory penalties. So, is a $5k gun that can’t be used at night or shoot 1,000 yards really necessary?

Help me.

Sincerely,
    A Glock fanboy who is growing up.
    I think you're out of your mind to consider either one. I'd recommend a used, sub-$600 Ruger alloy commander in 9mm. Especially if you think you might actually carry it. If the cops take it as evidence, they WILL steal it, unless you spend another 5k on a lawyer to make them give it back to you, It will get "lost" in the evidence room, practically guaranteed! I'm not kidding.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Because you expect a $600 Ruger to actually run?

Ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    That's insane. A $600 Ruger. Nope never ever

PB

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    tellum - please stop.

Feedback Score
    Life’s too short to carry a cheaper pistol for the sole reason that you won’t be out much money if it is seized as evidence. The probability of that is almost zero and the likelihood of greater enjoyment from carrying your ideal pistol is guaranteed.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    tellum - please stop.
    I agree. This forum has really gone downhill the past couple of years. Frustrating and sad at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    any smith who can't make one run in an hour, for $100, is not worthy of the name. You suckers just want other people to waster their money, like you did.

Quote Originally Posted by OdinIII View Post
    Life’s too short to carry a cheaper pistol for the sole reason that you won’t be out much money if it is seized as evidence. The probability of that is almost zero and the likelihood of greater enjoyment from carrying your ideal pistol is guaranteed.
    Money's too short to waste $3000 on a gun that's not provably a lick better in a match.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    If you use a firearm in a defensive situation and the firearm is taken from you as evidence, getting it back, the amount you spent on it, replacing it, &c. will literally be the least of your concerns and, more than likely, the least of your expenses.

Also: If $600 1911s perform well in competition, it shouldn't be hard to find a list of the people winning at national-level competitions in single-stack/1911 divisions with such pistols. If guys like Ben Stoeger can do it in production with bone stock Beretta 92Gs and guys like Bob Vogel with a stock G34/35/24, surely someone can do it with a stock SR-1911. If anyone can, anyway.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    If you use a firearm in a defensive situation and the firearm is taken from you as evidence, getting it back, the amount you spent on it, replacing it, &c. will literally be the least of your concerns and, more than likely, the least of your expenses.

Also: If $600 1911s perform well in competition, it shouldn't be hard to find a list of the people winning at national-level competitions in single-stack/1911 divisions with such pistols. If guys like Ben Stoeger can do it in production with bone stock Beretta 92Gs and guys like Bob Vogel with a stock G34/35/24, surely someone can do it with a stock SR-1911. If anyone can, anyway.
    of course they could, but the 1911 crowd is hung up on the .45, which is a handicap, and they are also a bunch of snot nosed blowhards who "think" that they can buy superior performance,without having to put in the work needed to do so.

there IS no "if" about the gun being siezed as evidence, until the grand jury rules on the case, at least, and there's very little "if" about a cop stealing a $5000 gun, either.
    Last edited by tellum; 11-14-20 at 11:04.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tellum View Post
    Money's too short to waste $3000 on a gun that's not provably a lick better in a match.
    Hahaha...

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast