Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: I want a 9mm 1911. I thought I wanted an STI until...

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    The Gen 2 STI mags are GTG JP.
    I have a dozen I’ve run 15K rds through with no issues.
    The MBX, while probably the Gold Standard, haven’t been necessary.
    Good copy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

I don’t like to review guns til I’ve shot them (the proof is in the B8). First impressions are good. The two 20rd OEM baseplates (the one pictured was bought direct from STI by me) are purple I think is the only “flaw” I can find cosmetically.

I did Hilton Yam’s feedramp test and it functioned well with 115gr ball. Will bring 115&124 ball and 147gr GDHPs to the range in a few days.

I like the sights. Grip feels great. Trigger is nice but may lighten it a tiny bit after shooting a bit.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Haha... colt purple.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Good looking pistol.
    “Plum”, not purple. : )
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Good looking pistol.
    “Plum”, not purple. : )
    Russian collusionists will be triggered by this

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    https://i.ibb.co/NxdStft/369-C4545-521-D-4-EC7-8-B42-D33-E3-CEA84-B5.jpg
    https://i.ibb.co/FB2qfK0/90608-AA7-A...C236297-B6.jpg

I don’t like to review guns til I’ve shot them (the proof is in the B8). First impressions are good. The two 20rd OEM baseplates (the one pictured was bought direct from STI by me) are purple I think is the only “flaw” I can find cosmetically.

I did Hilton Yam’s feedramp test and it functioned well with 115gr ball. Will bring 115&124 ball and 147gr GDHPs to the range in a few days.

I like the sights. Grip feels great. Trigger is nice but may lighten it a tiny bit after shooting a bit.
    We want a table top unboxing, first impressions review on the gun and to regurgitate OEM website information we could read ourselves like Mr. Clean does.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by contax_shooter View Post
    We want a table top unboxing, first impressions review on the gun and to regurgitate OEM website information we could read ourselves like Mr. Clean does.
    Bonus points for broken down vlog in the hood

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 08-19-20 at 20:57.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a 2019 gen 2 STI staccato P Duo.... one of the earlier ones after they switched from the Tree bark grip module frame to the one with the star grips but before they came out with the 2020 models with the tool less take down the slightly longer barrel etc.

Take my below experience for whatever value you get out of it.

I purchased it along with two Gen 2 17 round mags and 4 Gen 2 20 Rounders. I primarily shoot 147 gr. Federal hollowpoints through it.

I carry this as an LE agency approved off duty gun.

When I first got it, it had issues chambering the first round from slide lock.
    If I racked the slide from a closed slide it loaded and chambered the first round fine.
    But if I was at slide lock and inserted a full mag and either used the slide release or did the sling shot method, the first round would get stuck against the feed ramp into the barrel and not load with the slide obviously not in battery. in order to clear this you would have to lock the slide to the rear and strip out the mag and clear it similar to a double feed.

if I gripped the slide, pulled it back and then ran the slide forward with my hand it fed fine but obviously that's not how its supposed to work.

needless to say I was a bit upset about this... I have a $2,500 gun (with a Type 2 RMR on it) and it was having problems.

I contacted STI via phone and they directed me to their website where you fill out a warranty claim.
    Filling out the claim form, answering their questions took all of 3 minutes and it let me upload a cellphone video of the problem. I hit submit and got a response email back from their CS within half an hour with an apology and an RMA # with UPS prepaid overnight shipping label.

This was a friday... I packed my gun and mags up (they said to send them everything) and dropped it up at my UPS shipping center 1 hour later. The gun arrived in Texas at STI the next day. They worked on it right away and it was shipped back to me by Weds. and I got it back either that Thursday or Friday. I cant remember. But it was either a 6 or 7 day tops ordeal.

They replaced all of the Gen 2 mags with new ones, and tweaked the extractor tension and the feed ramps and test fired it with different weight ammo as well as similar ammo as to what I carry. The STI Gunsmith who worked on my gun called me personally to tell me what he did to fix the problems (never had that happen before) and that the gun was on it's way back.

Its been 100% since then and quite honestly it is the smoothest shooting 9mm I own.

Was having to send a $2,500 gun back to get worked on a bad thing? Yea. yea it was... but.

I dont know if it's just me but I seem to have bad luck with pistols... I've also had to send back a Smith and Wesson Performance Series M&P back as well for issues from the factory and I had to send back my Nighthawk Custom GRP Recon 1911 back as well for major feeding issues when I first got it.

In all three cases, STI, Smith and Wesson, and Nighthawk Custom, their customer service fixed the problems and the guns were/have been 100% fine and reliable afterwards and a dream to shoot.
    I have to say that STI was the easiest to deal with and had the fastest turn around time by far. Nighthawk Custom being a close second and Smith and Wesson being third.

My Staccato P Duo is the only 2011 Ive owned so I can't compare it to other 2011s. But now that it loads right it is a dream to shoot. Very smooth, very flat, accurate and fast to run. If i were to ever get another 2011, I would look at STI again or Nighthawk perhaps since I have two of their guns that I like.

I would love say that my STI has always been 100% right out of the box but I cant... but they made it right and since the fixes its been 100% and overall Im a satisfied STI customer and Staccato P Duo owner.
    Last edited by TACAV; 08-20-20 at 00:32.

Feedback Score
    I have a 2020 P DUO, I work at a LGS as an NRA RSO and basic pistol instructor and so far I have about 700 rds. through mine with no failures whatsoever. I was never really a fan of 1911's before until I started handling the STI's we have at work then started shooting and doing some research on them. From what I read I wasn't sure I was willing to risk spending that much money but we have a 2019 on the range that just runs and was a joy to shoot.

I have a steep learning curve ahead with mine but so far I absolutely love it and now more so with an RMR on it.

115 gr. WWB at 7 yards indoors, and, no glasses!
    Last edited by modelbuilder56; 08-20-20 at 07:08.

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast