Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carbine class malfunction question

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If the rifle ran fine with the 20 rounders and you only had problems with the 30s, it's probably a safe bet that it was the magazine's.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas24 View Post
    I had some Brownells 30 rd mags from around the same time period, maybe 2012, that had brown followers and experienced something similar to what you described. The tip of the round would hang up on the edge of the magazine as it was feeding and either get stuck nose down in the mag or dented to the point it wouldn't clear the feedramps. The brown followers and springs were swapped out for Magpul yellow followers and standard springs and it continued to be an issue. In all likelihood the feedlips were out of spec to some extent but I didn't feel like screwing with them and in the trash they went. Okay Ind Surefeeds and Magpul M3s are all I use now.

With that said it's only similar to your problem. 9/10 malfunctions the round wouldn't even leave the mag, let alone attempt to chamber.
    I had this same issue with some Brownells mags I purchased locally around that same time frame. The feed ramp on the mags was too high, causing rounds to snag when attempting to chamber them. I filed them down a little and alleviated the issue, but they're relegated to training mags now.

OP, get some Magpul mags, test them, and call it a day. I'd recommend not using any new gear for the first time in a class. Make sure your set up is squared away the best you can before the class so you don't have to fool with malfunctions and can focus on the instruction.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    I took a carbine class this weekend. Fired about 400 rounds.
    Rifle used was my Colt 6720 which, before the class had about 200 rounds through it. Generously lubed, and bone stock outside of the Magpul handguard, ambi safety, and SSA trigger.
    Mags used were Brownells 30 round, with dark grey Magpul followers. Purchase 10 about 3 or 4 years ago. They were new in package before today.
    I had 5-6 malfunctions where the round would try to chamber and stop just a smidge out of battery. On finding a dead trigger I would try to clear the malfunction and once had to mortor to extract the round. The rounds looked a bit "bent". Not sure if that is a good description or not. I'm digging through my crap to see if I can find one of the damaged rounds.
    My instructor suspected the mags. I isolated one mag, and set it aside, but had one more malfuction with another mag. I used a total of 4 mags in the class.
    Ammo used was Wolf GOLD, vintage 3 years ago. Never had an issue with this batch of Wolf before.
    Anybody have any ideas?
    Did you perform a lock-back check?

Have you tried your AR with standard 5.56 ammo?
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    There are a number of Brownells magazine lots that are sub-standard where the magazine bodies either flex too much or are over-sized.

I just checked a Brownells 20-rounder stamped 07-13 that won't drop free.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post

Have you tried your AR with the original 20 round magazines that previously worked?

What, if any, troubleshooting have you performed?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post

These 6 malfunctions are the only issues in over 600 rounds. Function checks fine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How do the feed ramps look?

Luckily brownels has a great return policy if you just want to return the magazines and get something else.

Feedback Score
    Use a sharpie or a paint pen to number your magazines, so you’ll be better able to isolate problem mags in the future.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Carbine class malfunction question

I think I’m going to send all 10 back to Brownells and get something else.

ETA: Brownells jacked up their return process. It’s online now and won’t let you proceed without an order number. I can’t find it, so I’m calling them in the morning.
    Ordered 10 M3 window Pmags for a great price from DSG Arms to replace them.
    Last edited by czgunner; 08-10-20 at 19:55.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12