Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: AR Magazines.. How many is enough?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    You have enough mags when you dont have a second thought about throwing a bad mag into the berm and shooting holes into it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This is the "bag of mags" that I bring to classes. It holds 24 mags. I have two more full of loaded mags ready to go as needed.....Then there are piles of long term storage/back up mags....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Esq.; 08-10-20 at 16:53.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    I have no idea how many mags I have.... found a knapsack with 20 pmags in a spare room closet I had completely forgotten about....
    Generally speaking I'd say a '****ton'
    Last edited by Evel Baldgui; 08-10-20 at 16:55.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    My standard was 12 per carbine and 6 per pistol, then the 12/6 as extras in two other locations with a couple cases of 5.56 and 9. Over the years I've see too many fires destro everything.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    No matter what...IF a ban comes you will feel like you didn't grab enough while the grabbing was good.
    This is the most truthful post so far. I'd estimate I have 50-75 AR15 mags, 20-30 AR10 mags, and 25ish for my P226, and I feel terribly shorthanded about all 3.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I think I have almost 200 AR mags. Maybe more than 200?

I honestly don’t know actually.
    200 AR mags? With a screen name of "Circle 10", I'm afraid to ask how many AK mags!

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mamma View Post
    200 AR mags? With a screen name of "Circle 10", I'm afraid to ask how many AK mags!

Joe Mamma

About 100+ 7.62s. Only about 30 5.45 mags though. But I actually haven’t been into AKs in a number of years. I just kept the user name.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    We did speed reloads, dumping the empty or mostly empty mags without regard to dump pouch assumption being that when bullets were flying in your direction a $10 magazine wasn't worth the worry....
    Well, I was being droll with my response.

Depends on how you are moving, size of element, and direction of contact.

I can't imagine mastering the battle drill for breaking contact during a weekend class. My guess is, you probably did peel backs, hence my droll response/question, how many do you expect to survive. In that case you do your reloads after you've expended your magazine, on the move, after you are past the next guy in line - on the way to the last RP, or last guy in line, right?

Dropping the mag during this action isn't a big deal one way or the other.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I have AR mags in the garage 10 years old or more that I've never come close to needing to pull into rotation. Having a healthy stash of mags is a good thing, but I really think people go WAY overboard.

I'd guess I have like 40-50 AR mags, most of which will likely never be needed from wearing out my active use mags.
    This is the position I've found myself in. Years ago I thought I needed to keep a hundred (actually 104) mags loaded with 28 rounds each. I stowed them in 4 FAT50 ammo cans. I finally got tired of loading my training mags and started using them.

I've been kind of lackidasical about reloading and stowing them, and, lo and behold the world has not ended because I have empty mags laying around.

But I'll have plenty of aluminum GI mags for the boog.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 08-10-20 at 19:59.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    This is the position I've found myself in. Years ago I thought I needed to keep a hundred (actually 104) mags loaded with 28 rounds each. I stowed them in 4 FAT50 ammo cans. I finally got tired of loading my training mags and started using them.

I've been kind of lackidasical about reloading and stowing them, and, lo and behold the world has not ended because I have empty mags laying around.

But I'll have plenty of aluminum GI mags for the boog.
    Out of my approximately 200ish mags I only have 17 of them loaded. Two in my Jeep, one on my “battle belt” three in the three rifles racked upstairs, one in the rifle racked in the basement and the rest in readily accessible storage. I keep empty mags well away from where loaded ones are stored but otherwise I’m practically tripping over the damn things. A lot of them are still in the wrappers. Hell I ordered ten Pmags from DSG like six years ago and never even bothered to open the package they shipped in.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast